1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear u-joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mike13, Jan 14, 2012.

1. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Im getting a vibration at around 55+ mph an I think its
    from the rear. I've replaced all the front end except
    the hubs those will be soon. Just wondering what
    joints to put in the rear. I've heard alot of spiced put don't
    know what I need for size an if I should go with grease or not
    ill be doing all the work my self. Any ideas or part number
    an site I can look at buy from would be helpful.
    First time doing rears on any of my trucks. I never kept
    them past 100k .this one is my work truck/ that I tow/plow
    With.I put on about 110k in the last 1.5 yrs.an just replaced the whole front
    at 100k miles

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Just order the Spicer greasable joints from your local auto parts store for your year truck and model..

3. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

greaseable all the way. i did the non greasable ones and they were shot 30k miles later. i got my dodge 01 with 175k hada replace all the joints, and the rear end...... all was shot....

4. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Be prepared for the worst. I thought it was my ujoints or my driveshaft bearing making the truck shake. Ends up my clutches are frozen in the rear diff. 1500 to overhaul and rebuild. Last night we changed the fluid(synthetic) and added the ford additive hoping in 75-100 miles it frees up the clutches. I'm away this weekend so I'm hoping by the end of the week I can put 100 miles on the truck( no snow ). I have an 03 f350 srw crew short bed 103k mi hauls and plows.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

At 55mph I would suspect the drive shaft. Could also be a belt shifting on a tire or a wheel weight shifted from deep snow.

As for the rear end clutches... This normally only shows issues during the first few feet of take off causing a shuttering sensation from the rear end. Normally this can be rectified with fresh fluid and make sure you put in synthetic back in. From what I can understand this is caused by dirty fluid making the clutches to grab in-properly.

6. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Weird cuz fluid was never changed and came out perfect. No metal shavings at all! Yes synthetic plus additive added. If it doesn't go away. Tires have 35k on them. A little dry rot 3 yrs old so maybe time for new tires. What sux is they have 50% tred left. The clutches looked hung up like they were stuck making the wheels posi while on jack stands

7. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

I just had the same problem on my 03 2500 dodge and did the rear Ujoints and its fine now nice and quiet. definatly greaseable joints.

8. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

If you can't find them locally in your area, try here: http://www.quad4x4.com/

I've always had good service from these guys.

9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

had the same prob it was my tires they still had half tread on them

10. StrongestDad

StrongestDad Member

Tires next week. Found 4 brand-new b f goodriches for 162 each. I'll mount them. Any one try the new ones How are they holding up?

11. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Not hard to find a bad u-joint . Just drive the truck a mile or so shut it off crawl under it , lick your fingertip and touch both u-joints . The hot one is the bad one ! Or if you don't wet your finger first , it'll be the one that caused the blister on your finger ! Thumbs Up

12. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Thanks for the repays. I finally got under the truck an the joints are still cool
    but the boot over there input shaft is shot. An I see some pitting on the shaft.
    im going to replace the fluid in the front an rear diff.the tires hv just under
    half left an I had them balanced an rotated about 5k miles ago.
    I think ill still replace them an the boot an see how it feels