1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear tire load range for a 1ton dually

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Aug 3, 2010.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I need atleast 2 new tires on the rear and currently they are all D's on the rear and E's on the front. That got me thinking do you actually need E's on the back with a dually? Wouldn't dual D's actually be better than single E's?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not a tire expert, but I would tend to agree with you. Dual D's should be fine unless you are towing alot with it. Heavy trailers, and I would spend the extra cash and go E's.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking dump box/flat deck or pick up box style. Maybe with the pick up box you would use D's but for me I would only put E's on any truck, even SRW.

4. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I run E's all the way around.... Are D's really any amount cheaper ??

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

D's tend to run 50 psi max, whereas E's will run 80 psi--although the 305/50R20 I run on my daily driver 2WD Dodge 2500 are E rated (3K#+), and max at 50 psi--go figure.. Load wise, there is generally a few-five hundred pound difference between them.

What size are you running?

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually, I think "generally", D are good for 65 psi, not 50. Just splitting hairs here. :drinkup:

I've always run E's all the way around, mostly because I see the enefit from rotating front to rear, as well as the fact that the tires lose some weight rating when run as duals.

7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I had D's & E's on the dually's I owed. Always kept them the same all the way around. E's were only a little more money, give you more weight capacity over the D's and the E's wear faster supposedly.
    I rhink the D's would be fine unless your carrying alot of weight all the time.

8. Westhardt Corp.

Very true, hence my size question. As far weight rating single/dual--that's all BS, IMHO. The tire's rating is its rating, and it tends to vastly outnumber the truck's GAWR, so I don't sweat it. It's just like the front GAWR and the rear GAWR tend to grossly outnumber the truck's GVWR--I go with the axle.

:D

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well dually's in general split the load (obviously) btw the tires. Let's say hypothetically D's are 3,000lbs per tire and E's are 3,200. SRW with E's will legally carry 6,400 lbs and a dually with D's will carry 12k. BUT depending what you carry with it (front and rear) you may want to stick with the E's. Namely b/c you'll want to be able to rotate your tires.

10. terrapro

from MI

It is a 9'x7.5' flatbed dump. Tires are currently all 235x75 on 16" rims.

It sounds like it doesn't exactly matter since D's would probably max out the limit anyway but for rotating purposes it would.

11. terrapro

from MI

My father in law has 4 265x75 coopers all on 16" rims he wants me to pick up for $100. He says they are all good rubber. I will go check them out soon, so wish me luck that they are good.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think all 6 tires have to be the same size. This truck is 4x4 right?

13. Westhardt Corp.

265/75R16 will likely be light duty tires--check the sidewalls.

14. terrapro

from MI

Damn, I forgot about that.

Yeah probably, but I will atleast go check them out.