1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Tank Replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ECLC, Jan 24, 2009.

1. ECLC

ECLC Junior Member

I have a 1994 F350 7.3 dsl and the rear fuel tank needs to be replaced. The price for the new tank isn't bad..about $110.00. My question is this..How easy is it to replace by doing it yourself? Or is it a pain in the butt and just have the mechanic do it?

2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

It's not too bad, just make sure to get as much fuel out as you can before you start.

I'd say the hardest part would be dealing with the fuel filler neck and getting the old strap hardware loose.

If you have tools, ambition and a heated garage, I'd say do it yourself.

I can tell you that swapping in a 33 gallon Bronco tank is an easy task for the 80's-90's Ford trucks if you're willing to lose your spare tire mount and want to nearly double your rear tank capacity. You'd just need to modify the fuel filler neck (easy to get correct size at NAPA) and use universal gas tank straps.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

a lift can be nice to have too. I have only done it on chevys but the lift was nice and a second pair of hands fon take down and reinstall.
  4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

It is not too bad. Get as much fuel out as possible, the little bit left tends to slosh around creating all sorts of ways to string various words together. If you can make your self a lift/jack assemble to support the tank ( trany types work ok if you can beg /borrow/snitch one for a day, I use a scissors jack with a bunch of long arms welded on it and a power drill to raise and lower) as you will need to let the tank part way down to disconnect fuel lines (they are not long enough to rest tank on ground) You might have a little trouble with the tank strap bolts/nuts (rust) because the nuts might spin free. Just did a 93 had to cut a bolt head off to get it out. When you go to reinstall, be careful of the strap placement so you do not pinch a corner on the tank and cause a leak.