1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Tank R&R

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Got Snow, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

'93 F350

Replacing rear tank and I'm wondering if I need to take the tow hitch off the frame.

The tow hitch is only 1/2" in on each side. Is there enough slop to jimmy it out at an angle?

Anything else I need to know?

I am not looking forward to this project!!!!:realmad:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't have to drop the hitch,it should drop right down through.It's tight,but it will go.

You will need two fuel line clips for the fuel lines,one white,and one black.

Expect the skid plate bolts to be siezed,you will probably have to cut them off.Remember that the skid plate holds the tank in,so when you cut\remove the bolts,it will want to drop out.It's a lot easier if the tank is empty.

Also don't forget the vent line.Little black rubber hose connected to the rollover valve.The plastic nipple on the rollover valve is VERY fragile,so if the hose is stuck,just pop the whole valve out of the grommet,as you'll have to pull it anyways to switch tanks.

3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

clips

will i need to buy new clips (black/white), or can i use the old ones?

this is great info.......thank you!

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your really careful you can get them out without breaking them.They will not be as snug when they go back in though,as the little locking tab will be off,as they are just cheap plastic.For what it's worth,just get one of each,as you never know if your going to need them or not.Most parts stores,or a Ford dealer will carry them.They are cheap too.

5. jeepplow

jeepplow Junior Member

I did the front tank on my 91 F-350 and the rear tank straps. I don't have a skid plate on the rear tank. I doubt my experience can compare to Wyldmans but I will offer a couple head slappers I did so you don't repeat them.

I had a tough time pulling the fill line out of the containment hose on the filling tube. My first problem was that I didn't know it was there. My fuel line clips came off surprisingly well and were replaced with new ones for about $2.

I bought the tank from an aftermarket dealer and I also went to Ford to buy the sending unit locking ring and gasket. They gave me the wrong one. The truck was laid up, it was Saturday evening and I wanted to finish the job. When I bought the tank, the parts people said the locking ring and gasket were NOT included.

After jamming the old ring and gasket (which looked fine) back on the tank and finishing the job, I went to crush up the new tank box....I think you know what fell out!!!!!:realmad:

As Wyldman said, the skid plate bolts were rusted on and had to be cut as were the strap bolts. If you do have straps as I do, you may want to buy another set or be prepared to cut them and re-weld them as I did for the front tank.

Overall, the project was not too bad. On my truck, the rear tank looks a bit easier to do. Make sure you don't put alot of stress on the connections when lowering the tank. Take your time and it will go well.