1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Jan 9, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have a chevy with the quadrasteer setup and plow. I was wondering how much it would help. I know the rear steers only a limited amout , something like 12 degrees. Wish they made a truck with more rear steering, like a front end setup. would make it alot more manuverable.:D

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

u dont want quad steer its electric i 'd like to mechanical version i really dont think it practical yet not hd enough

3. 04superduty

you can get a rear steer axle made by one of the axle houses, but its alot of $$$. most are full hydraulic steering. was wondering if anyone has ever used rear steer on a pickup.

4. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

I beleive its only available in 1/2 ton. Not to popular for plowing due to dependability issues and the added stress of plowing

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It is a dana 60. Electrically acuated with a safety return to center.

I have not heard of any failures.

Plowman45, how do you know that you do want it? Any failures? Has it not held up to plowing? Do you have it?

Buy the plow prep and "possibly" an extended warranty if you are so worried about it.

It cuts the turning radius down to what a small car would be. Somewhere in the 35-36' range if I recall.

I don't think anyone here on plowsite has it. Just like every other innovation time will tell, but to make blanket statements for or against is kind of pointless with no true experience.

6. 04superduty

i was just curious how they work. to me rear steer seems like a very good idea, some rock crawlers have it, but its alot of $$. In the tight areas it would help alot, and basically just turning my truck around. Fords dont have the best turning radius. i dont want to start a war, but after the way i was treated by gmc i will never buy another gm product.:angry: still alittle mad at them. :D :D

7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I don't have it either. Don't think anything good or bad about it except I would be excited about the decreased turning radius.

When you asked for opinions I would have hoped that responses would have indicated yea or nay and why.

Not: Don't get it, it sucks, its electric it runs on voodoo

I will not be the first to test it plowing, but you asked if anyone who has it can give you real world feedback.

Quote:

"u dont want quad steer its electric i 'd like to mechanical version i really dont think it practical yet not hd enough"

Tell me how that is answering your question?

Heavy Duty enough? What is not heavy duty about ?

I guess some people can read minds, are engineers(and snowplowers) or do R&D of new products (without even driving one:rolleyes:)

Electric vs mechanical? Don't like drive by wire either?

U don't want quad steer? Hmmm how do we know that?

04Superduty asked a question that I would like the same answers to.

Howard

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  8. 04superduty

thanks howard. was thinking, with rear steer it would mean 1 more switch or button to deal with. Yeesh, dont think i need anymore but would still be cool. my f350, supercab, short box, with the boss v plow on, takes 4 to 5 lanes to do a u turn, talk about driving a battle ship.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

chtucker you buy it then when motor gets corroded with salt then call me i have already seen them in action it operates with a solenoid

10. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

04Superduty,

I'm taking delivery of my 3/4 ton Crew Cab Quadrasteer next Sunday. Shorty thereafter, a Fisher 81/2 EZ-V and Timbrens will be attached to it. I can't give you any plowing feedback yet, but here's what I can tell you.

-The CC with QS turns circles inside of my 1500 short box ext cab. 12 degrees may not seem like alot, but it makes a big difference.

-I have spent alot of time on the phone with the Delphi engineers who designed the system. It is designed to operate continuously for about 200,000 miles before things wear out and need to be replaced. The fact that it's not offered with the Duramax or 8.1 in the HD's is a GM marketing decision. The system can handle the added torque and stresses of the bigger HD motors. They also feel strongly that the system will hold up very well through the rigors of plowing. They did not design the system to be babied.

-Trailering weight is 300lb less than the same vehicle not equipped with QS.

-You cannot get a plow prep package with QS. With the heavy duty trailering package, you have all of the plow prep components (external coolers, tranny temp gage, 145a alt, etc) except the HD (1ton) torsion bars, the roof light wire, the 10amp reserve, and the hole in back of the dash for the plow control. No big deal.

-I will be watching the electrical system closely to see just how much draw occurs with simultaneous operation of the plow and QS. It's not supposed to be a problem however, I'll install a 200A alt if needed.

-There is a set of tie rods in the back that could possibly be damaged from backing into things, but, knock on wood, I've always managed to be very careful when backing. If there is a "system" failure, the wheels will return to center.

I'm a pretty straight shooter, so I can tell you if it does not work out well and it turns out to be a big mistake, you'll see it here in writing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

hamptonplow

What? An honest un-biased opinion on a product? That will be refreshing and restore my faith in people. Are the other posters reading this? Hee.Hee. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will.

Should add a Blizzard 810 though. That's an un-biased opinion of course. Hee. Hee.

12. 04superduty

I think the towing weight is dropped 300 lbs is because the extra weight of the quadrasteer. If you check on top of your 6.0, there could be a spot to mount a second alternator, was on my duramax. when, and if it snows, tell me how well it does. :D :D

13. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Point well taken guys. Ill reserve my comments for things Im more sure of. :)

14. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

Well, I've been holding off on reporting back on my Quadrasteer since I've only been through one storm with it. It's quite possible we may not have another plowable event up here until next year so I'll relay my experience so far:

I do about 35 driveways and a couple of small lots, no salting or sanding. The first four driveways took longer than usual as it was my first fishstick and V-plow. I kept changing hands because neither felt comfortable. This, and looking at the control to chose the mode and movement. By the fifth driveway, I had this all worked out and was able to chose any mode and configure the plow without looking. I spent alot of time in the Scoop mode.:D Wow, very efficient.

As for the Q-steer, I was actually giggling while plowing some of my longer driveways that have small areas for turning around. With my old truck, I would have to back in or out the full length. With the Q-steer, I was able to make very tight K-turns.

All in all, I cut more than 33% of my time due to the plow and the truck.

No electrical issues when the Q-steer and plow are active at the same time.

Here's the downside so far. The Fisher guide showed with this plow and my truck, I'd be looking at 400lbs of ballast. However, it took over 1100lb of ballast to keep the front end under the max limit. I've always carried 300-500lbs of ballast in my other trucks, but it's really a drag putting the ballast in now. If I had it to do over again, I may have just had the 8' HD installed, just to eliminate all the heavy lifting. It would be hard to give up the EZ-V now though. The MM2 is also a nice improvement over my old MM1.

I also have to keep the blade fully deflected to the left, instead of wedged, in order manage the engine temp when travelling between my three farthest jobs.

I'll attempt to post some photos later, but they may be too big, we'll see.

15. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

Let's see if this works

sierravee2.jpg

16. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

And I'll try one more;

sierrascoop2.jpg

17. 04superduty

cool pics and thanks for the replies. Hopefully you and I will both actually get more snow before the season done. :D :D

18. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

Could you post some pictures of the rear steering mecanism. I am curious to see how it is put together.
    Thanks

19. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

nice looking truck. glad to here you have been having good luck with it. hope u get more snow

20. peewee

peewee Member

never mind the truck, nice garage! I'd like to see more pics of it!