1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Springpack noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have look very carefully at all the leaves? leafs? in the spring packs on my 97 and none are broken or rusty. However, they sqeak real bad while driving down the road. they seem to have more than normal gaps in between them (i think they're supposed to be tight against each other?). I've sprayed the springs themselves along with their mounting bushings down with fluid film and nothing is helping. Should I have them replaced (Big $$$ i'm sure) or is their a way to tighten them up or have them rebound together? I'm guessing in order to do that they would have to be disassembled, cleaned, and then reassembled. The noise is just driving me nuts!!!

2. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Buy some good graphite spray and spray as good as you could between each leaf. Also could be the bushings gone bad and the fluid film just didn't reach because of the bolt.

3. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I know what you mean!! My truck does the same thing and it is the bushings for sure. I used white lithium grease spray and it shut it up for awhile but would come back, and your right about it being expensive as i was quoted $300 to replace just the bushings. I ended up putting airbags in the back to help with towing and the noise pretty much disappeared from taking the extra weight off the springs. Good luck

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

when you say the springs are pulled apart, are talking about right over the axle? They should be tight right there as there is a center bolt that holds them together. As for $300 just to change shackles, that seems high to me, but it's different everywhere i guess. If you can buy the parts cheap enough, its really easy to replace shackles and leafs yourself, especially if you can find a torch to use.

5. mcwlandscaping

Oh i have no problem whatsoever doing any work involved myself, i just don't know what needs to be done. They are pulled apart up further in the arch from where the spring perch is on the axle. One the axle it is tight. Ide like to find a set of 3500 SRW spring packs and possible rear end too to have a full floater back there but don't have the time to look!! In the mean time, i don't mind if i have to spray something in there every few weeks even, i just want to make sure that i'm not on the verge of some major catastrophic failure of something!

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Are the U bolts tight.???
    That hold the spring to the axle ....

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Your spring bushing mounts are there right? The little disc looking things inbetween the bottom one and the next one up? If they sound like they are clattering like hitting each other you can glue in some rubber inbetween those two. There should be spaces inbetween your springs as they are not fully compressed until there is a load in the bed or on the hitch.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My 1500 squeaks I have sprayed fluid film and wd40 and nothing works so I am not sure what mine is either

9. RichG53

Don't spray any thing with oil in it (Dry Lube Only) .you will attract dirt to get in between the leafs..Not good..

You keep saying squeak ? do you mean chadder-slapping??? If so you need the spring spacers that go in between the leafs at the ends...Usually one at each end on the bottom leaf...About $1.25--?? a piece..
    Call a spring shop they should have them.....

10. deere615

Not sure about mikes but mine is not a chadder/slapping mines a squeak

11. mcwlandscaping

Mine too....maybe i'll pressure wash them clean and see what happens instead of lubing them up

12. deere615

good idea I never thought of pressure washing them i will try that too

13. RichG53

So did it work ????

Is the squeak gone ????

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My 00 2500 groans like the door on a haunted house when I've got the bed loaded. I like the graphite spray idea. I'll give it a shot.

15. deere615

I havent even got to mine yet probably at the end of the month I am so swamped with school work snow plowing bids and on and on...