1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear sping leaf adding

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Dec 6, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a seperat leaf packs im in the process of breaking up, the only thing that is concerning me is the center pin in the leafs. how do i go about extending the center pin to accomadate the 2 extra leafs on going to be adding? and one done this or have step by step instructions they could post up? also wha clamps should i get to hold the leafs together?

thanks for the help!!!!!
  2. I would just take it to a spring shop I got 1 spring fixed 2 added on each side n all of them re-arched for 400
  3. the new boss 92

im just going to add myself and i know someone that does rearching on the side that used to work ar a spring shop so it saves me alot of cash.
  4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

a good auto parts store will have a longer center bolt and my local auto store even makes u-bolts to order, cheap.
  5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

In a pinch a grade 8 bolt will work. Get the right length and size and round off the head of the bolt to the size of the pin that fits your axle. Thats a last ditch effort though. Like Blizzard said, the pins arent as hard to find as one might think. Go with new u bolts too. Small investment and alot safer!
  6. the new boss 92

ok i have the new u bolts just a little confused on the center pin. by buddy told me he just did arching at the shop he worked at never assembled the packs
  7. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I replaced the springs on Chevy a few years ago... What I did was keep the main stack of springs the same but added a couple extra to the overloads.... my thought is that when empty the ride would bee the same but the extras would help when loaded...
  8. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I had a shop add 2 springs to my 96 k1500 a couple of months ago. Total cost was around $500 for parts, labour and everything. No headaches trying to figure out centre pins either. :dizzy:
  9. the new boss 92

if its going to cost me 500 i wouldnt even consider it, i would just do airbags and be done. im just going to throw 2 extra springs in there and arc them and be done. good days project!
  10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How many leaf pack on your truck now? 4 then I recommendation go with 6 packs with 1 thick leaf pack.

My F250 have 6 packs but that wasn't enough for me so I went bought F350 dually with 7 leaf packs plus 2 overload leaf spring.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

A socket head bolt will work nicely for the center pin. If I remember right, I didn't have to grind them down at all for them to fit into the hole in the spring perch. They are often available in grade 8 (required).

I used large c-clamps to hold the spring pack together and reassemble. It's real easy to do and only takes an hour or so tops as long as everything is ready to go.
  12. the new boss 92

johnny u, did you happen to use different clamps like the ones in the stock postion twards the end of the leafs? closer to the shackles.
  13. the new boss 92

yes i do have 4 now, im going to make it a 6 spring pack and that will be plenty for me. also should rise it up a little bit in the rear to right.
  14. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

just go to NAPA and get new center bolts, they have threads all the way down so get a longer than you need and run the nut down and cut off the rest after you tighten it
  15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I didnt reuse any clamps since I was rebuilding those packs for flex (in my chevy crawler).

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i just added air lift air bags to the back of my 2500HD...work great and ride nice too