1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear shock mount help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Feb 20, 2011.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I just noticed on my 98 chevy 1/2 ton that the rear shock mount is broke/ ripped from the frame. The shock is hanging on by the bottom bolt. The piece is hanging from a wire and zip tie, its where the 2 nuts and bolts mount shock to the frame. Question is can I replace the upper shock mount? Is there large factory rivits that hold that in place? I haven't looked at it real good yet.

Has this ever happened to anyone here and is it a easy fix?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question...

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

These are normally rivoted to the frame and can be purchased through a GM dealer. If not look into LMC.

3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Cool I just haven't crawled under far enuff to look but I had a feeling they were rivited on. Thanks ill look in my LMC book tonight.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

autozone has them 2 i did mine this summer

5. doctr54

doctr54 Junior Member

I am looking for replacement rear upper shock mount brackets for my 81 K30 dually. Anybody know where to find them?

6. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

This happened to me on my 98..i had to pay 110 bucks for mine...there are two rivets on top of the frame and two rivets on the bottom of the frame. I just used nuts and bolts to put back on. Its easy. Hardest part for me was cutting the factory rivets off. Took half an hour or so.