1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear plow suggestions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by csnowmizer, Dec 21, 2003.

1. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

first posting on this site and first year plowing so far so good. I am looking for any info on rear plows for a 1998 chevy 2500 any information would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance../
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

What in specific do you want to know. The two best are Snowman and Daniels. Both have websites. We have two Snowman 70+ series, great investment.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Do you reccomend rear plows?
  4. 4speed

4speed Member

5. peewee

peewee Member

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Bolts- If you are doing a lot of driveways or dead end applications, then yes I do recommend the back plow. Only if you already have a front plow! The Driftbuster looks ok, but the arctic looks jankey- I love the Snowman plows, trip action, down pressure, ease of maintenance and installation.
  7. Bolts Indus.

8. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

I have 3 Daniels rear plows and they are great.I have one with a Boss V,one with a Snowway V and one with a Blizzard 810.They are simple and they work.One thing you have to beef up will be your alternator/battery capacities
  9. Bolts Indus.

all snow

10. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We have installed this plow made by a local manufactor for many years. Self contained and easy to hook up.
  11. Bolts Indus.

jon geer

Wheres the pump etc. and how does it work?
    What's the price?
  12. Bolts Indus.

Why would I have to beef up alternator/battery?
  13. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The pump is enclosed in the hitch box. See the small round Smart Hitch switch? The price is about $3200 installed plus tax.

We sell about 20 a year. Any more questions email me. Let's not upset the others.

Just here to help with those with questions.
  14. Bolts Indus.

Your right. Im just here to help too. got carried away. Sorry
  15. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

I've found that the original factory sized alternators and batteries sometimes could'nt keep up with the draw of using the front and back plows at the same time(as well as the heater fan,back up lights and other 12v add ons)After increasing the alternator amperage and doubling up on my batteries I've had no problems at all.
  16. YenkoCamaro

YenkoCamaro Junior Member

go with a driftbuster plow by D&G its the best way to go i have 2 of them and have never had a problem
  17. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have alwaysed used Daniels rear plows. I agree they are simple, and smaller than most, thats why I like them over the snow man which is must bigger.

They are also use full on a truck that has straight blade, because with the boxed ends, you can collect end trails, they work great on turns, and in parking spaces that have to be pulled out, rather than plowed forward.

The plow that Jon geer has in the pic looks very nice, small, simple and I looks as if you can put the tail gate down- something you can't do with te daniels.

Please post more pics and info on that unit, raised and lowered
    What brand is it.- I like the looks of it a lot
  18. Rymm420

Rymm420 Junior Member

Here in south western Michigan i would say 80% of plows have back blades. Most here if not all are all fabibracted by the local truck supplier or anyone that knows how to weld, its not that hard of a concept.

On our trucks we run a clutch pump right off the fan belt, we have 9'2" bossV and 8' back blades.

We order the plow without a hydro pump and run our hydro lines to the blade and lines under the truck to the back blade. I plowed with electric one year and don't know how i did it blades are easly 2 as fast if not 3 times.

The new thing here is a back blade that expands to 16' it is fabed. but a local guy here and he patentened it already the back blade goes down the road about 8' wide and then expands to 16' with hydro cylinders.

The guys that have them say they feel useless plowing with 8' back blade instead of 16' i am looking into retrofitting one truck next year to try this out.
  19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Down in kalamazoo, very few trucks have back blades compared to Grand Rapids.
  20. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Daniels seem to be the best as far as ive seen. The snowman seems to me made a little sloppy.