1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear plow q's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris08087, Oct 29, 2003.

1. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a 250-home development where I have to plow all of the drive ways. I was thinking about buying something like the rear plow in this thread: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8279
    but I cant find very much info about rear plows, or any reputable brands that make them. Has anyone used or heard about rear plows? Are they worth the money? Are there any brands that are better or worse?
  2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Chris do a search using: Daniels and snowman and you will get several threads discussing this topic.

Chuck B.
  3. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Saw an ad for a 7'6" Daniels pull plow, new last December, for $1800. If the all garages face the driveways, you'd pay for it real quick.
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I run a Driftbuster. I have heard alot of good things about the snowman backdrags and alot of not so good about the daniels.
    The Driftbuster's are built here in Buffalo and the guys are around 24/7 if i ever need a part or a quick welding job. They are on the web if you do a search.

As far as the question of buying one in general goes...YES once you own one you will never plow without one again. Actually I would say it would speed up your plowing almost 30%.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We run 2- 7 foot Snoman back plows. We got them last year, and I don't know how we ever plowed without them. I would recommend Snoman over daniels because
    1. The hydraulics are on the plow - Daniels runs the pump under the hood with a hydraulic hose running under the truck to the plow- prone to break as my friends have experienced.
    2. The plow sits farther back from the bumper, thus being able to carry more snow.
    3. It raises higher for deep drifts.
    4. It has trip springs on it and the cutting edges/rubber sides are cheaper.
    5. You don't have to buy a special hitch as long as the one on your truck is hd.
    6. Who wants a blue plow?
    Best of Luck!
  6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I had to jump in here after the Daniels bashing! - LOL

I own five Daniels pull plows - two are over 5 years old with out any problems. Ok, some minor wire splicing has been needed on one of them. Speaking from EXPERIENCE, I have the following comments about Daniels pull plow.

1.) I like the pump in the motor compartment. It keeps the motor cycling faster than when it is outside the vehical. You can however, put the pump where ever you want, even on the plow mount! But I would not want it there, even if a cover is made for it. Less things to go wrong under the hood and motor performs at optimumn speeds in cold weather! As far as hydralic hoses go-I have never had a break on one hose, but I do carry a spare, just in case.

2.) Never had a problem moving heavy amounts of snow. I dont think the 6" differece is going to mater much. IMO.

3.) No rear plow rasies high enough to get over most drifts. Just back up through the drift and drop the blade. There might be some benifits with clearance issues, such as at transitions at curb/driveway, etc. But other than that the plow hieght has no affect on performance.

4.) Trip springs would be a nice option(Attention Greg D.), but I have not had one problem with out them. Even plowing brick pavers with the steel edge, I have not lifted one brick in 7 years. The past two seasons we have put the U-edges on this plow and they work great!

5.) You dont have to buy a special hitch with a Daniel plow either if its a HD hitch(i.e. - a class three hitch). You do have to weld to ears on the hitch, though.

6.) Who wants a blue plow - NOT ME - LOL

I would have to concur with the other members comments regarding plowing with a rear plow. Once you plow with it, you will never want to plow without it. If your doing residentials - It is a must!

Chuck B.
  7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

res plowing

I do residential plowing . This will be my second season after purchasing my Snowman 7' backplow . I paid 1800 + tax installed myself . I have had zero problems . The plow has reduced my route time +/- 25 % and the down pressure is great for hard pack .I would like to get a Blizzard 810 , I think the combination would be great.
  8. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

We have a handful of 8 ft snowman's (snowmen ?)...I agree with whats been said above. I/we love them. They have been dependable and I wouldnt want to plow w/o one.
    We made the side plates longer to hold even more volume, but the factory ones are good

WOOFSPLOW Member

10. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Looks inexpensive is right ! No side plates to capture volume, and it looks like chains lift it, meaning no down-pressure. No thanks

WOOFSPLOW Member

Did you view the video? It looked to me like it did a good job. Also looks like wet snow or rain before changing over, it pushed pretty goodpumpkin:
  12. theboogers

theboogers Junior Member
    from balt

i just purchased a used daniels pull plow. i was wondering about the need to have the plow float. i have a driveway to plow with some rises and changes of height.
  13. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Take a look at this plow. See if you like. Let me know.