1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear plow pull plow back plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scitown, Nov 7, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Im looking into snowman pull plows. I am doing resi's with an 8ft fisher on a srw 9200 GVW p/u. What size plow would you guys recomend? 6,7,8 ? Im looking at the SC models. Does the rear plow length make a big difference? My thought process is that 7' should scape the width of my wheel base (SRW chevy). 6' is to small, 8' may be to big for some of the tighter spaces. I have no idea if the width makes as big a difference as a front plow so any help would be great.

2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

The 7' works good for me. 6 too small 8 too big ..I use the Plow Partners It has down pressure

http://www.snowmansnowplow.com/content/view/6/27/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Whats plow partners? Can you give me a ball park on price? I hate going into a conversation with a salesman not knowing where I stand.

4. Daner

5. scitown

scitown Senior Member

$2,995 and $400 for the install (I think he said) I was told it does not come with box wings? I thought they were standard on the 70 SC model?

6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Plow partners looks like a simple design for the application of an up and down piece of steel. Not sure its available to us but thanks for the lead I will look into them.

8. Daner

You can get them In the U.S I just checked there 7'-6"

You will save your truck If you do a lot of back dragging

Why I like the plow partners Is for 1 when you back up to a garage door...you can see the plow and where Its going to land on the ground...It dosent fling out further than where the plow Is normally...It drops right down...Not Out then down

The pump Is with the plow as one unit

Daner

9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

anyone else use these?

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I use to install the Snowmans and didnt much care for them. Too far from the back of the truck and worked in a swinging motion when cycling up and down.

Like the looks of the Artic which is similar to pretty much every other back blade being run in this area, Monarch pump is very relaiable and b lade works in a up and down motion and not the swing.

Standard for a backblade is usually 6 inches narrower than the front blade.

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks thats some great info. The snoman dealer told me most of the install is putting it together kinda made me uneasy thinking of all the parts. I will get in touch with the Artic dealer Monday morning and see what the price difference is. Tried Daniels but the dealer wont call me back or give me a price. I started out trying to buy a Daniels because I didn't like the swing out of the snowman. Thanks again.

12. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

GET THE 7', TRUST ME ! I use the 7ft and If it was any wider I would have trouble w/ the width when plowing L-shaped driveways and against rows of garages. The 6ft is just too small unless you have a small truck. My friend had a 8ft and hated it, it inhibited him from getting close to anything ( although it was a bit faster on straight drives ) I figure it will take 3 pulls per driveway no matter what size Snowman plow. I love my Snowman, it scrapes very clean, and I can carry a lot more snow across large parking lots w/ 2 plows.

13. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Also, assembly of the Snowman is easy. The trip springs are essential, Daniels pull plows don't have them! The swing-out is not bad, and it helps to clear large drifts

14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

You really think the trip springs are essentials when I am only doing driveways? I wish one of them had a model that floated and had a down pressure button. I have read on here that people have modified the daniels to "float".

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the daniels doesnt need trip springs. becasue the plow will hindge and float over the top of an obsticle. It is a little rougher becasue thats with down pressure on , but it does go over obstilces.

The daniels is a good option , its very simple, good priced, i have used them for about 9 years ,

it also doesnt hangout of the back of the truck very fare

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I have been trying to buy a Daniels. What's the price on the daniels compared to snoman? You may remember some of my other posts about pull plows, Im still trying to buy one. The further into winter we get the harder it is going to be to get one. All I can do is corner a dealer and shove $3000 in his hand. Kindof a touchy subject right now.

So with the daniels is it all down pressure all the time? Im still not to sure how they work. I did see your post about moding the pump to make it float... If you put it down it will float? Then you hit it down more and it will down pressure? Or is it down is down pressure and the more you push it down the more down pressure you get? I figure if I keep posting here maybe someone will sell me one of these damn things so I dont keep annoying everyone.

17. fletch7897

fletch7897 Junior Member

I dont do any residential stuff, but I have seen lots of the back drag scrapers, and they seem very easy to fabricate, you could use a rubber cutting edge in lieu of or in conjuction with a spring trip.
    my 2 cents...

18. scitown

scitown Senior Member

My last resort will be to weld up a back drag edge on my fisher plow. It was my original plan. Will save me about $2500 and a big headache. Is that what your talking about?

19. fletch7897

fletch7897 Junior Member

well no, I figured you had thought of that ready.

20. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I see, thats why I asked. Thanks, not sure if I have time between leaf cleanups for that to be an option. Ill have to talk to my welder see if he is up to it.