1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear noise, running cold, tranny maint.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by theguynextdoor, Nov 28, 2007.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Ok I've been reading the threads in the dodge forum and you guys have scared the crap out of me with these dodge transmissions. I have a 1998 2500 4x4, 129,000 miles. Couple things here:

1.) Temp guage never goes above 160 degrees F. Unless someone says otherwise I'm assuming this is too cold, which means teh thermostat is stuck open. Manual says thermostat should open at 192 F i think, so it's obviously running cold. Right? Had the same thing on my 85 bmw 535i.

2.) I want to take care of my tranny. The tranmission was rebuilt and got a new shift kit before i got it at 100,000 miles. Is it time for a fluid flush, band adjust, filter, etc. Where should i take it in WNY? I may do it myself...we'll see.

3.) I have a noise coming from the rear end, like a metallic grinding i think. Sounds like gears possibly. First i thought the differential fluid was low, but it's normal. However its black as night...should it be changed? Someone also suggested that it is the U-JOINT. It is hard to fix that myself? I have experience with cars...more the engine as i rebuilt the engine on my bmw, but i know very little about tranmissions, final drive, suspension, and all that stuff. I'm all about saving money though and learning some new stuff about this truck. I'm gonna take the rear wheels off just to check for something obvious before i dig into this.

THANK YOU for any input. I appreciate it, especially with the snow coming very soon.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if i remember the manual correctly my 97,98, and 99's should get trans fluid changed every 30,000 which is where you are..however since my trucks plow snow i change it every season, and not just a flush but the filter also. IMO it's cheap insurance compared to cost of rebuilt trans...

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Take her to a tranny shop not the coroner quickie-lube.
    I think you can skip the flush,too...jmo...
    Have them drop the pan, change the filter and adjust the bands.

Change the fluid in the front and rear ends and don't forget the transfer case.

The thermostat sounds like it could be sticking..
    use a 195deg. You can easily do that your self

While there ask that about the u-jiont /