1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear mounted plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by airtex, Nov 3, 2007.

1. airtex

airtex Junior Member

I do about 60 residential drives and was wondering how one of those new rear mounted drag plows would work.
    If anyone one has used one I would appreciate the feed back.

2. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

I have a snowman 7' plow and I love it. I wish it had some kind of float feature but it still works good without. On the driveways with slopes you have to keep raising or lowering it to keep it scraping clean or to keep the rear wheels on the ground. This year I put wings on the backplow so I'll have to see how much it helps. If you get one make sure you get one that has some kind of trip feature.

3. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

its a love hate thing at first you will hate it then you will figure it out and love it i have 15 daniels pull plows would not work with out them:salute:

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

could you fab up a chain lift? i ask 'cause i have never seen a pull plow

5. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

I'm sure a chain lift could be used if you wanted but I don't want to give up the down pressure, I just would like the option between float and down pressure.

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Keebler, If you ever want to experiment, pull a hose off so you lose downpressure, then you'll realize how useless they are with no downpressure.

Airtex, I ran them until a couple years ago, when I got more into salting and couldn't use them. 2 Members on here bought both of them last year. Truthfully I miss them and always said I wouldn't plow without one. With 60 drives you should be able to cut at least 30% of the time off your route and your drives will look alot cleaner.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What's so new about them? They've been around since the early 60's. 1960's that is. pumpkin:

IMHO, you're nuts to not have one unless you have a salter in the way. They are far superior to backdragging and\or a backdrag edge and much, much more efficient.

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Got to remember Mark, "US" Hollanders here in West MI invented the darn things back in the 60's, its just that the rest of the country is finally figuring out our secrets.

Airtex, think about that, if the hollanders will spend a whole lot of pennies on the darn things, they've got to be worth somehting!

9. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I bought a snowman last year and love it! I bought 2nd this year. I still have some figuring out to do with it since it doesn't float and trying to run the front plow all at he same time. When my wife rides with me she runs the back plow and we make a quite a team.

10. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

So true. I wouldn't do driveways without one. Ever!

11. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Seemed too much of a pain to be plowing in reverse all the time. It's a good alternative to backdragging though, but seemed to make a lot more windrows to clean up cause it's tougher to do in reverse than going fwd.

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Try and find the link to Jon Geers videos and you will see some of what you can do with a good backblade.

13. Pat M

Pat M Member

Here is a video from You Tube that I actually saw yesterday when I was looking for H1 videos. It really makes you want to go out and get one. Well a back plow that is. My wallet isn't big enough for an H1 just yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7d3qxIWDF4

14. airtex

airtex Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the feed back on this subject. It really helped me make up my mind . I will be getting one this season . Dont know which one yet, I think the Daniels looks pretty good.

Thanks again fellers.

15. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

ASK FOR WADE AT DANIELS PLOWS, HE WILL SHIP DIRECT. GREAT GUY VERY HELPFUL. TELL HIM :blush WADE FROM MONTANA SAYS HI :blush2:

16. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Any brand of rear plow is better than no rear plow. Give Ed at Snowman a call if you haven't already. Good luck, Haden.

17. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

Airtex We have 2 Daniels Pull Plows

Bought my first pull plow in 03 and it has worked beautifully from day one. We do Residential and one large commerical account. The second unit I purchased (new) years ago has been giving me problems from the beginning. Motor is mounted underneath the body on the chassis so I am having it re-located to another area on the truck to se if the problem could be rectified. Newer Daniels plows have motor mounted back where the plow is and fully enclosed.

Anybody else experience a similar problem with the Daniels?

18. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

last year i got a rear plow froma guy who hated it. i havent had a lot of time to get it on my truck. this year i seen the same guy running around with a rear plow on. i asked him why he got rid of the one he sold to me he got all mad. he lost my number and wanted to buy it back off of me. he said he cant plow with out it. he went out and spent over a grand to get another one. i bought the one off of him for 200bucks.

19. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

so i guess it is a love hate thing.

20. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

This is my second year with the rear plow. I built it last year from an old Meyer moldboard that I had. I admit I still have some learning to do with it. I don't get the increase in efficiency that some guys are claiming, but my route is all rural residential, not many that I can pull twice, push once and go on to the next. What it really does for me is reduce the mess and frustration cleaning up around driveways that were never designed to allow for snow plowing in the first place.

The main drawbacks I have found are that the plow doesn't raise high enough, my mistake in design, and the front plow needs to be wider than it is so that the rear plow isn't brushing the snowbank on long runs. Not raising high enough means that the rear plow some times drags pretty hard when starting up a drive that goes steeply up from the main road. I also should have taken it off for the initial runs when we got buried last year on Valentines Day. I have some drives that I really need to drive up and plow down, and the rear plow would drag up enough snow off the top to stop me.