1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear locker?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mopar/hiniker, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mopar/hiniker

mopar/hiniker Junior Member
    from iowa

I would like to put a rear locker in my old truck for plowing and for off roading. it spends alot of time on the street. so what will be the best locker? im looking at a detroit true track? any help would be great.
  2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I don't think the true trac is the same as a detroit locker. Same company. Different unit. I've had 4 and my brother has 2 Detroit Lockers. All in GM 14 bolt rears and Dana 60 fronts and 1 Dana 44 front. Never broke one yet in 15 + years of off roading and the occasional fry the worn out Super Swampers on blacktop before you put the new ones on happens too. All our trucks are Big Block Chevys, 1 502, 1 454, 1 427. 2 trucks have 38" Swampers and 1 has 35" Boggers. If that doesn't break'em it must be cuz our tires are too small or not enough HP:nod: We ran a trac lock in the front 44 of one truck but got tired of fixing it so it got replaced with a detroit locker. I don't have any personal experience with other lockers than a Lincoln Locker but I have heard that in the kits that let you take your diff guts out and replace them with their locker "kit", the problem is the factory diff is the weak part not the replacement parts. And anytime you bust up something in a diff it's usually pretty expensive since all thise hardened parts just bust up ring and pinion teeth. What kind of truck are you putting it in? They can make the front push a bit if you don't have the traction to make the Locker unlock.
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

My True Trac is a limited Slip.....