1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Lights Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lodogg89, Jan 9, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

I just installed these lights on my spreader, im thinking about buying 2-4 more of them to mount as well. Is it safe to wire these off of my spreader power?? They are 55watt lights, but also they are bright which is great.

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

bump, come one someone must know what to do.....
  3. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

wire it to spreader power yeah if the wire is bigger, you could try
    how will you switch it on off? from in cab?

or you can wire from battery in front to switch in cab then lights
    be sure have a fuse from battery to switch.
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No, especially if you have a variable controller in the cab. Best way is directly off the battery using a switch, fuse, and a relay. Using the power off the spreader is risky if you have a controler for the spreader.
  5. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

go to a auto parts store and buy a RV 7 style plug ( or what ever ur set up is for your trailer plug) wire them together and then to the plug when u have to salt plug it or keep it plugged and face the lights down.. ill try and get some pics up for u
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

You could put them into a 7way trailer connector and plug them in to the trailer harness.
    I don't know what they are fused at, but i use a setup like this for 1 55w bulb on my backup circuit on my Ford.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

where did you get those lights? i like em'!!
  8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

walmart special lights for 15 bucks, i think im going to just run the wires back and set up a switch in the cab.
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Think of them as work lites not salter lites. You use them when you load un load back up ect. so they are on more often than you think but once you have them wires to a switch you use them more often...
  10. mreamer

mreamer Member

I really wouldn't connect any of those lights to the line from the spreader controller. A 55w light will draw 4.6 amps at 12v, two is obviously close to 10 amps, and so on. I imagine the spreader controller is fused, if you add more current (amps), you could start blowing fuses. If you need some suggestions for wiring, let me know.
  11. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

You can wire them to the switch yes, but need a relay, or something to keep the power from pulling off the spreader motor.

Might be better to wire that many sperate from the salter completely.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use a fog light relay available at any parts store. Use a lead on the positive leg of the circuit to trigger the relay. Switch the negative leg of the relay trigger so you can turn the light off when not needed. Run the positive power supply that you are switching ( with relay ) from the battery with a fuse in it.

But with a variable speed electric spreader this would not work, because the voltage below full speed would not be 12 volts. So you could not use the spreader circuit on lower speeds to trigger the relay. You would have to just switch it manually with an electric spreader.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007