1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear leaf springs 04 Super Duty...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MOWBIZZ, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Noticed today while washing my truck...the top leaf on the rear spring pack just sort of sticks up in the air at both ends...is this normal?? Haven't had a chance to look at another Ford yet...

No issues...haven't heard any pops like something let go...seems to ride as good as ever... both sides the same...anyone...?

( I do have about 500+ lbs in the bed right now) front of spring is "up" just like the back...sheesh...I hate salt!!

013.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Here's a pic of the front end of springs...geez...what's that nasty greenish/bluish crap there..?? yuck! LOL Ain't digital cams great??

012.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  3. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

that is normal. it is a load spring, so when you load down the back of your truck it will help carry some of the load so it doesn;t sag as much. i believe they do it thisway to allow for a better ride when empty, but still have enough strength when loaded full. both ends of my reap springs never have really come in contact even when towing my 8,000 pound trailer.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They're called "helper springs" when they touch your giving it s nice load.

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Thanks for the replies...I was hoping it was normal, but ya never know...gotta get some salt away or something..! Anyone ever use it?

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yeah, I used it once. I picked up about 25 sheets of 5/8" drywall. I couldn't even tell it was back there, but I heard the helper spring squeaking.

Awesome trucks.

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Oh cool...but I meant the did anyone ever use "salt away" LOL

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

OMG!! I'm an idiot...sorry LOL:eek:

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

49 bags of rock salt and they will touch...lol....ask me how i know....

10. jvcski

jvcski Member

MY 04 F250 does not have those "helper springs" is that something that i can install myself or factory only...?

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You can install it yourself. But after you get the parts list together you'll balk at the price of it all. you might be able to get it off a junker, but it isn't really worth it.

12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

those things are how i know to load our F350 dump...i load the truck until the helper springs touch the bump stops, then throw another few buckets in for good measureswesport

13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

my buddy loads till the regular springs touch em... :dizzy:

14. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

You know something.....Ford trucks are awesome!!