1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear hideaway strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Oct 23, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

on my 1987 GMC pickup, i want to put hideaway strobes in the stock backup lights. (i got other backup lights installed). Want i'm wondering is, since the stock backup light lenses are small, will the red taillights & brake lights block out the strobe? Also, with the taillights off, will the strobe flash a red color since the tail lights are red?-thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

2. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You better make sure that it isn't illegal in your area to flash any little bit of red. Most jurisdictions prohibit red and blue lighting for obvious reasons.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Rick you are right RED is a no no in most states,but I have them in my rear light. I just don't run down the road with my strobes on. I run them when I plow the lots and the entryways from the street,but when I hit the road the strobes go off,but I leave my roof mounted strobe on all the time. Most cops will not mess with you if you are not running down the road with them on.

Regards Mike

4. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

thanks, i appreciate the advice. but can someone answer my question ?

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

If you have any kind of clear bulb or any other kind of color in the red part of the tail light, IT WILL FLASH RED! Here in IL you can have red flashing lights as long as it points to the rear. I cant answer you other question because I dont know how big you back up (clear) lights are? I would have to see it in person to tell you if it would block the bulb or not.
    Thanks

6. tjstruck

tjstruck Junior Member
    from NJ

I had amber strobes in the b/u lights on my 87 fs Chevy and they flashed orange not red. The b/u light is mostly seperated from the tailight. :drinkup:

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

ultimate plow -

Flashing lights that are red which are pertaining to turn signals or brake lights are legal in Illinois, but in this case with strobes isn't legal. Check out this link http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisl...&SeqEnd=150300&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code.

(625 ILCS 5/12‑215) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑215)
    The use of red or white oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except on:
    1. Law enforcement vehicles of State, Federal or
    local authorities;

2. A vehicle operated by a police officer or county
    coroner and designated or authorized by local authorities, in writing, as a law enforcement vehicle; however, such designation or authorization must be carried in the vehicle;

3. Vehicles of local fire departments and State or
    federal firefighting vehicles;

4. Vehicles which are designed and used exclusively
    as ambulances or rescue vehicles; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted except when responding to an emergency call for and while actually conveying the sick or injured;

5. Tow trucks licensed in a state that requires such
    lights; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted on any such tow truck while the tow truck is operating in the State of Illinois;

6. Vehicles of the Illinois Emergency Management
    Agency, and vehicles of the Department of Nuclear Safety;

7. Vehicles operated by a local or county emergency
    management services agency as defined in the Illinois Emergency Management Agency Act; and

8. School buses operating alternately flashing head
    lamps as permitted under Section 12‑805 of this Code.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

8. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

tjstruck

Where did you get your strobes? and how much did they cost???

Thanks

Bob

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

hey zamboni,
    Im not sure...All the new public works pick up trucks have the whelen 4 strobe hide away system. They have 2 clears in the front and 2 clears in the rear RED tail lights. And yes, they do flash RED when on...There are tons of plows around here that have the rear red strobes that flash. Iv never heard of any complaints. Cops around my area dont really complain about it I guess because they know we need the warning. I dunno, im not saying your wronge and im right, but why would a government vehicle do this if it wasnt legal...Kinda weird...I dunno...post back...
    Thanks!

10. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

do u think when the brake lights come on they will blind out the rear strobes in the backup lights?

11. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

keep this one thing in mind. Do you think a cop will pull over the public works truck? is the town going to pay itself a fine?

12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You can get amber strobe tubes. That should pretty muchtake care of the red and/or white flashing problem. In some states (like Maine) flashing white is only legal for authorized emergency vehicles.

13. tjstruck

tjstruck Junior Member
    from NJ

I dont remember how much I paid but I got them from Strobesupply.com hope this helps :drinkup:

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Strobes

I have a few Brand New 6/90 Sound Off Galileo hideaway strobe systems available for a great price. Includes 6/90 Power Supply, 4 clear tubes, 2 15' and 2 20' cables, control harness, triple rocker switch and instructions. $189.99! Additional tubes/heads available as well. E-mail me direct at rcpd34@comcast.net to order or if you have any questions. Thanks! Brian

15. hilltopfarm

hilltopfarm Junior Member

strobes

i use a set of amber able-2 LED lights, they are easy to install and have a small control box, they are also more intense than strobes, mine are in the front grille and on a headache rack. there are also strobes in the lights, i used the back-ups which keeps them clear at leat a 60 watt 4 head should be used this allows 15 watts per head (the minimum rec.)

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I use at least a 90 watt.

The 60's just get washed out during the day. I sell the 90 watt systems for less than many people pay for the 60 watters, how can you go wrong?