1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Hide-aways in Red?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Bill Wolf, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Bill Wolf

Bill Wolf Junior Member

I was under the impression that Construction-Plow type vehicles could only display Amber flashing bulbs as "hideaways" in rear lenses.

Today, while traveling down I-93 in Concord I saw a Bridge Contractors Ford Pickup with red rear hideaway strobes. Granted he had no amber rear facing lenses so he had little choice.

Is this legal or was it that the duty State Cop who was standing by the truck had no incentive to point out otherwise.

Any LEO's on here who can answer this question?

Bill

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have them in the brakelights and reverse lights. I see a bunch of others doing it too. I dont think cops really seem to care when they see plows out during a storm. In other states it might be diffrent.

3. Bill Wolf

Bill Wolf Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.....

I probably should have clarified that I am in New Hampshire and the state law specifically reserves Reds to Emergency vehicles on the Fire and Rescue (Ambulance) side.

What I am looking for is a comment from a NH LEO on this matter. Ford Trucks have no rear Amber lights and strobes can't be mounted in the clear backups because of the design of the reflector.

Bill

4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Wait til ISP sees you, Illinois Officers absolutely care if you have flashing Red lights.

5. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Reds are reserved for the same here. Good luck

6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well I don't think Ultimate plows the highways but I know a few of my other plowing buddies have thier hideaways in the rear brakelights and they have never been bothered. Granted they plow parking lots and not roads or highways so the only time they are on is withing private property boundaries.

7. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I am sure at some point, they are backing onto the public roads. Anyhow, if the officer sees them using the lights and sees the truck pull out onto public roads (lights off), you can not even posses flashing red lights, so they still can get popped.

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well the guys I know always back onto roads with thier lights on and no troubles. I think intent may make up an officers decision on weather to bust someone. I'm sure he would rather a snowplow operator would have his lights on for public safety rather than be 100% law compliant. I'm sure if he had blue lights then tere would be a problem. Also if someone were too be just driving around with red strobes to look cool or impersonate then a cop will be much more strict. But who knows lol.

9. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I do, that is why I am trying to be "helpful" here. I don't wanna see anyone get in trouble.

10. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

most of the time the officers are there on over time and making money from the bridge contractor

11. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

well here is the catch on red lights. this is from a WI state Patrol so this might be different but he said almost every state is the same when it comes to RED.

Any red or blue is not to be used on private vehicles in forward direction. any lights that alternate or wigwag type flash are also not to be used up front. as to the rear anything but blue can be used AS LONG AS THEY DON'T ALTERNATE or do like a wigwag type flash. IF YOUR A MEMBER OF AN EMS, FIRST RESPONDER, OR FIRE DEPT THIS DOES NOT APPLY

12. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

probably no worse than fast flashers.....really, really fast flashers!

13. ultimate plow

from N. IL

I see plenty of guys with the rear red hideaways. I always have my top amber bar on. The strobes are just secondary when theres lots of traffic. Im not worried about it. Your area might be diffrent. Theres tons of guys in the chicagoland area that do this. Remember its to the rear only.

14. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

most times, that is what they say right before they get a ticket, "I see others with it". To the rear or front doesn’t matter in IL. Not trying to judge here, but helping a fellow plow guy out is all, from first hand knowledge. I know the Chicago land area is different from the rest of Illinois, however the troops are not.

15. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

As I have been informed No Red or Blue facing forward and White,Amber,or Red is ok on the rear of your Vehical as a winter plower and summer road construction I have white and amber on the rear of mine and dont have any problems with local or state law agencies.The biggest thing is dont drive around on public roads without reason with lights on

16. ultimate plow

from N. IL

eitherway. Its no big deal. 100% of the traffic still gets in ur way:gunsfiring:

17. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

that is no joke there, that they do

18. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

as far as i know you can have red strobes in the rear only ive been running them for 25 years in mass and nh with no problem so i dont get fired at i have been running red flashers / beacons in the rear now i have swiched 2 hideaways

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

thats is BS i have put several amber leds AND STROBES in all the new fords.