1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear ends

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CT18fireman, Dec 30, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am not as knowledgable on Chevies. Did GM ever make a 6 lug one ton rear or are they half ton only?

I seem to remember that the six lugs were semi floating and 1/2 ton. I thought the one tons were full floaters whether single or dual. A buddies truck is supposedly a one ton but has a six lug rear. So I am thinking it was swapped. Any info would be helpful here.
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

How old is the truck? As far as I can remember, the six lug was always semi-floating, in either a 12 bolt in the older trucks, 10 bolt in the 80's, and 10-bolt with a few semi-floating 14 bolts in the late 80's and 90's. Hope that helps.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

it is an 86 and he tells me it has 4.10s I am not sure I have not seen it. I am going to get it on the lift tomorrow. All I know is that he told me the wheels had 6 lugs and I always thought that was a 1/2ton for GM. If so we will probably want to swap the axle out for a one ton.
  4. Captkaos

Captkaos PlowSite.com Veteran

6 lug is 1/2 or 3/4 ton. 1Ton only came in 8 lug.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

To the best of my knowledge, from that era 6 lug is 1/2 ton 4x4 for GM, 5-lug is 1/2 ton 2wd, and 8 lug is 3/4 and 1-ton.

1-tons either single or dual rear wheel have a full-floater axle, while the 3/4 tons came with either the full-floater (I call it a heavy 3/4) or semi-floater with 8 lugs (light 3/4)

Does the truck have a "30" or "35" on the trim badge? I'm wondering if at some point in the past front clip or trim off a 1-ton ended up on this truck (If it does have 6-lug wheels)

I've seen that sort of thing before, the welding truck I drive says "Sierra 25" on the trim badges but is a full 1-ton DRW, sometime before we got it body parts were swapped.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well we have been looking at it yesterday and we found some things out.

It is definately a one ton (acording to Chevy who ran the vin before he purchased it) It has a big block motor and a 4 spd trans.

My best guess is that the running gear solid front and rear were replaced with half ton axles as they are six lug. It holds the 9 ft plow well but the rear end is all chewed up. With it being a one ton and the box rotted he is looking into putting some kind of dump or flatbed on it. This means that are first step is likely to be locating a one ton front and dual rear axle to bolt back on.

Thanks for the help so far I will come back if I get more info.
  7. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

Here is a guide to IDing axles.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

My brothers old 88 3/4 ton 2wd has 6 lug wheels. He's owned it since Dec 24 1988 brand new.