1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear ended

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by gusdust, Dec 14, 2008.

1. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

These pics are from two seasons ago. Stopped to help a couple guys who were crossed up on an icy exit ramp . Had I not been in the way , they would have been toast. Didn't make me feel better, though. Dark, icy, etc. had my four ways on and strobe on roof. Saw the car coming in my rear view and just layed down in the seat. Girl that hit me was shook up but airbag saved her. Wrecker charged me $180 to pry us apart. Rear plow was over the cars engine. I drove it home. That's the second time i had to put a new box on that truck from rear ends. Then last winter a doe bounced off my vee plow and caved in the side on the newest box again.

img_0425.jpg

img_0416.jpg

img_0417.jpg

img_0418.jpg

img_0419.jpg

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, looks like your rear plow has seen better days. I'm assuming her insurance took care of the damage to your stuff? Was there any damage to your frame or driveline after that?

Not to be a pita, but I probably wouldn't have seen the little strobe on your roof if the visibility was poor until it was to late either.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good thing your truck is a Ford! How does it drive now and did her insurance pay for it?

4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

That puny little strobe got replaced right away. Here in Michigan we have no fault insurance. So we pay our own way. Or rather our insurance company does if we have full coverage. The cop asked me why I stopped. I said to help, besides I couldn't get by them anyway.

5. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

The frame got twisted. They got most of it out, but not all. Two years before this I had my 12' enclosed trailer shoved up my box. That one demolished trailer, tools, and 5 grand to the truck too.

6. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

where in mid michigan are ya?

7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

dont ya just love michigan insurance laws .. pay top premiums just to get screwed over in an auto accident ...

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

wow frame bent

well you could put flatbed on it

it seem that Ford held 2 car accidental.

How old that girl is?

is this near I75?

Wow that cost lot for new bed, snowplow on rear hitch, and fix frame or new frame.

9. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I'm just south of Lansing. Truck is a 2000 Powerstroke. Only 135,000 on it. It should go a while yet if I keep out of the way. Drives fine.

10. Signature lawns

Signature lawns Junior Member

11. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Nice to see a guy from my area of the States on here.

That sucks, man. Thing is, how much damage did it do to her car? At least you have full coverage (or so it sounds). And, as some have said, I doubt I'd have seen that little strobe. Especially not in the kind of weather we sometimes get.

12. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Her car was totaled. I felt bad for her she didn't have full coverage. Ya, shouldn't have even mentioned the strobe. Realized then that I needed something bigger/brighter. Amazes me some guys run nothing at all. Point was, I did all I could think of safety wise at the time. no flares on board. I had gotten out to check on the two guys, got bumped then, so got back in the truck for some safety, plus it was raining ice. She said she never even saw me. But was going way too fast for conditions.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The strobe was still better the nothing. I was just going to run two strobes like that on each side of my backrack but I decided that a rotator mini bar was about the same price of quality strobes and probably get people attention much better.