1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear end swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by razz, Sep 3, 2003.

1. razz

razz Junior Member

:salute: Hello. I finally found a place that speaks my language. Thank you for your existence. God Bless our Troops,Resistance IS Futile!!! I own a 87 K-20,4X4,Std. cab,Long bed,350 TBI,dual tank,8 lug,C-clip/14 bolt,rear end w/3.82 gears. It is way overdue for repair/replacement. I have a few questions. 1]Whether or not I should swap it out for a full floater type? 2]What would be involved,ie.?? do I need to replace the drive shaft/u-joints/spring mounts??? I am trying to acheieve the strength of the full-floater and be able to add rear disc brakes. 3]Would it be better to purchase a complete rear axle from the bone yard and recondition it,or to purchase an already built to spec unit from one of the aftermarket sources? I am also interested in having a posi-type carrier. This is also a consideration. Once again,God Bless and....

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Razz, maybe someone here will tell ya for sure, but if you measure inside of spring perch to inside of spring perch I'll measure mine, (77K20) and width of the spring and we'll know for sure. I'd look in yer local bone yard for one and put the new components in yourself, not hard. That's what I just did, the bearings I took out still looked good after 25 years, but now it's all new now. Rick.......

3. razz

razz Junior Member

:)I get 2and 1/2 inches on the springs. I get approximately 40 inches between the insides of the perches. P.S.- I forgot to mention its equipped with a new process 208,with a ratio of 261. Its also equipped with the TH400.Thanx ,g.t.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be able to swap in a 14 bolt FF without any major problems.Having the donor truck with all the parts is a big help.You will need to match the gear ratio to what's in the truck.

5. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Razz, that's the same measurements I got so if you find a 73 to 87 minimum, maybe even later, it should bolt right in. Good Luck!

6. razz

razz Junior Member

Sounds good guys. thanks for the input. I was right, this is a great site.:nod: