1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear End Swap Out!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, May 18, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Well, last night we(buddy and I) swapped out the rear end in my truck (stock, open diff 3.83 gears) for an axle from his 1996 k2500 (locker, 4.11 gears). Plowing this past season with open diff and that gear ratio SUCKED, so, that's why we are doing this! The front end will be done in the next couple of weeks so i can use my 4*4 again. I will get pics once it stops raining, But i cleaned up the whole axle up, repainted it jet black and got a chrome diff. cover for it. This thing is gonna last a long time. When we opened up the drums, they were in AWESOME condition. I have yet to take a real drive with it as we finished at 12:15 in the morning, so i just drove it home and fell asleep!!

Overall, I think i'm going to be VERY happy with the increased power and traction in the rear end......only down side is the lower gas mileage, but, my customers pay for the gas

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It's great that you have a buddy that knows how to do the swap. Shops want a pretty penny to do gear or axle swaps.

3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

are you switching in a solid front axle or are you sticking with the IFS???

4. mcwlandscaping

keeping IFS, front will not be locker because of this...................however, that would be SWEEEETTT

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i know that really would be sweet to have a solid front axle chevy. that is the only reason i didnt buy a chevy is the ifs otherwise i think they are damn near bulletproof.

6. mcwlandscaping

Some pics for ya's Only thing not cleaned up and painted is the bottom U-bolt bracket. Pretty much all hardware on the thing is new.....SWEEET!
    Diff cover hasn't been cleaned yet :(

IMG_1099_2_1.JPG

IMG_1101_4_1.JPG

IMG_1102_5_1.JPG

7. the_experience

the_experience Member

That looks like a 9.5 inch "metric" semi-floater 14 bolt. Maybe it is actually the 10.5 full floater? If it's the 9.5 inch version I'm a little curious what locker is in it. There is nothing cheap about 9.5's

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The rear in MCW's pic is in fact the 9.5 semi floater 14 bolt. If I remember correctly he said it has a factory Gov-Loc in it.

9. the_experience

the_experience Member

I think a Gov-Lok would probably be ok in that application. The same can be said for the 9.5 inch 14 bolt. I've seen some guys build the **** out of a 9.5 inch, but it isn't cheap. I didn't know the Gov-Lok was an option for the 9.5 even, not that it surprises me in the least that it was. It's probably a better option for something on the street than a full Detroit.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, the Gov-loc's were an option on the 9.5 14 bolt. In fact, you could get one in just about any GM rear all the way back to the '80 model year whether it was an 8.5 or 8.6 10 bolt, 8 7/8 12 bolt or a 9.5 or 10.5 14 bolt. They work fine in a relatively stock truck with not too much tire but in a high horsepower application or with large tires they're a hand grenade with the pin pulled. That's how they got the nickname "Gov-Bomb".

11. the_experience

the_experience Member

Oh I've seen the bomb aspect. I'm an avid offroader, but I'm poor and so are the people I wheel with. While I'm perfectly content having a welded third member and an open third member and just swapping them out for the weekend (easy on a Toyota 8 inch), other guys don't have it so good. I do so enjoy a 6000 rpm assault on a Gov-Lok 8.5 10 bolt. :p