1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear End Shuddering??? 04 ram 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by getsum, Nov 22, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Ok here is the info. 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 quad cab with a 7.6 meyer plow in it. lately when i go either backwards, or frontwards and turn left or right and press the gas the rear end shudders like the limited slip is locked or something... if i turn a corner when wet the wheel chirp chirp chirps.. i have electronic 4x4 and i have tried engaging and unlocking out of 4x4. Tried it all. it literally will shake the whole truck. i turned a tight turn on a dirt road as well and the tire broke loose like i had solid axles... ANY help would be great because im stumped.. transmission shifts ok. tows no problem heavy or not.. no slip.... and NO IDEA
  2. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

Had the same problem about 6 mo ago. Dealer said it nothing was wrong. Rear diff bearings went out 3 weeks later.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Slight shuttering issues in the rearends can be caused by the breakdown of the sythetic 80-90w gear oil in the differential. For some reason the clutches in the pumkin hate old fluid and will chatter for the first few feet frontwards or reverse. Change mine every year front and rearand the issue simpily vanishes.

As for the poping while turning. I'm thinking breakage!!! Snow is comming, remove the rear cover and look for metal shavings/parts.
  4. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I've got the same truck, (weirdly I have a stick to engage 4WD) check the TSBs for that year. Ma Mopar had a problem with the factory limited slip pins falling out and destroying the rear bearings and sometimes gears/carriers. Mine dropped at about 70K, saved my gears and put in a soft locker. Crack the cover or take it in, it won't get better. Best of luck to you.
  5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thanks guys... its the news i kind of expected but didnt want to hear haha. ill tear into her this week :mechanic: