1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear End Issues ???????????????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A&M Snowplowing, Feb 18, 2006.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

Is there any sign to tell when your rear end may be giving away. Cause on my 1996 Ram 2500 I have been noticing some slippage. I have been sitting at a couple of red lights and when i go to accelerate the truck like spins the tires. The thing is that i am not even touching the gas. It also jumps forward like the tires are not getting enough traction. The roads where also dry to. Could this be a sign of the rear end getting ready to take a dump or am i just getting paranoid after putting in a transmission. Cause i hear that lots of dodge owner putting in rear ends after transmissions.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have never heard of a rear end going without warning- like bearings grinding or seals leaking.

My first thought is that shiney new tranny..... hate to say it but those symptoms sound more like slipping auto than a rear- infact I have never heard of those symptoms from a bad rear end.
    if you eant to check the rear jack the back end up and wiggle the drive shaft- look for play in the pinion shaft bearing, then pull the diff cover and drain the oil. Inspect the oil for metal particles and clutch material (if you have a posi). Wiggle the diff carrier with your have looking for slop. Look for oil leaks around the backing plates near the wheels - sign of leaking seals.

No metal and no slop means no problems.....