1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear End Bounce

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ric, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Ric

Ric Junior Member

I have a Chevy 2002 Z-71. I am getting alot of rear end bounce on concrete roads, but less on asphalt roads. I had a 1999 Chevy Z-71, until I rolled it last December, and never had this problem. The only difference between the two trucks is that on the 2002 I have the Protec composite bed. I am guessing with the lighter composite bed the bounce is intensified more than if I had the standard bed. I asked the service manager at my dealership about this and was told this is a common occurrence with all trucks and there was much I can do about it. He said I could try lowering the pressure in the rear tires, but haven't tried this yet because it will reduce the life of my tires and wanted to see if there was another solution.

Anyone else heard of or had this problem and do you know of a way to fix it?

just curious is the composite bed really lighter? i know when the idea first came up the composite beds were actually heavier.. similiar to a poly plow.. im guessing if it is lighter it cant be by much.. i dont think the bed is the problem either way.. has the suspension changed at all? different shock or spring combo would be my guess but not sure? good luck..
  3. Ric

Ric Junior Member

I couldn't remeber what the saleman told me so I did some research and found that the Protec bed is only 50 lbs lighter. Definitely not enough to make that much of a difference. I have not changed anything on the suspension. I did change the tires from 265's to 285's. I was thinking the dealer would suggest that the shocks or springs might need adjusting, but they didn't recommend it. Probably just wanted to get me off their backs....