1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear drag

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by getmydrift, Aug 2, 2005.

1. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

anyone have experiance with rear drag plows. am considering one . I use a bobcat S220,bobcat 84" snow blower for heavy sierra storms, I also use a p/u with a front plow for smaller snow falls, less than 18", It seems I could save time rather than pulling snow out with a front push plow. :drinkup:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, getmydrift. If you do a lot of backdragging and having to turn around, a backblade will save a lot of time. Just back into the spot, lower the backblade, pull forward two truck lengths, raise the backblade, back up and use your front plow. For more information and a demostration, go to the top of this page on the right-hand side and click on "Snowman Snowplow" icon.

3. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

probably half of the storms, it is quicker to use a plow, and drag it out than driving the bobcat around. when visiting my brother in the chicago area last winter I noticed a truck with a front and rear plow, I had never seen the rear drag, and got me thinking it could be quicker to drag with a plow made for that. with our storms, frequently over a foot to 18 in. dragging with a front push plow requires several passes to get it all. I have talked with snow man, but after finding this site I thought I would talk to people who have used them

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

My previous employeer had a pull plow. He didn't mind it to bad. Hooking it up was a pain. We always used a fork lift to help line it up and slide the plow into the reciever. It also maked the truck longer with the front and rear setup. Just something to keep in mind if you have to get into tight spots. You could also look into the Hiniker C-Plow. The plow has 2 cutting edges, one on the bottom and one on the top. The moldboard will fold in half and allow you to back drag out then fold the moldboard back up and push foward. Click here to learn about it.

William

5. Hammond Welding

Hammond Welding Junior Member

re

yes go with snowman snowplows i installed one on a chevy s-10 last year and they make a nice simple to install kit . we used it on our commercial accounts to pull snow out and then push it away with a larger loader in a houseing community the time saveings of two machines doing that worked well hope this helps chris :)

6. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I've used a "back blade" for a season and a half, what a time saver for res and commercial. Best money I ever spent. Residential you don't have all that turning around, and commercial you can just scoop up your windrow and carry it to the pile and then stack it. BTW welcome to Plowsite.

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I added a back blade to my truck last year and it was the best 300 bucks ive spent in a long time. Its a real time saver while doing driveways.....Rob

8. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

we just purchased 2 back boxes from Daniels i believe...i can't wait to test it out, we do an industrial park with about 20+ loading docks and back dragging them with a plow SUCKS...i hope these work good...i guess the daniels has the best ground clearance too...the only thing is i think i'm going to make a bracket to mount my tailgate spreader right on the box...it will make a good agitator for the salt that gets stuck in the spreader....

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing against you guys, but you make me laugh. We have been using back blades for over 40 years. This part of west MI it is the minority of trucks that are without back plows.

If you really want to increase your productivity, get a back blade. If nothing else, it is a counterweight\ballast that you can make money with. Once you get used to it, the minor amount of extra length is nothing compared to the money you will make with it. Your customers will appreciate the superior work you will be able to do with it as well, because of the down pressure.

If I was to buy a back blade that is 'mass produced' that is on the market today, the Daniel's Pull Plow is the best one out there IMO. Strongest, cleanest design. Now that being said, I am very, very leery of putting anything in a trailer hitch that is not a ball\pintle hook for pulling trailers. I might be paranoid, but these hitches are designed for towing trailers, not hooking a plow to. The liability involved if a trailer fell off after modifying the use of the receiver to plow snow cares me to death. There are probably thousands of these types of plows being used in this area and around the country, but we use a different design from a local fabricator that does not use the receiver tube for mounting the plow. They are closer to $3000, not $300.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Does a back blade give you enough clearance to get it up on a 6" high sidewalk so a guy could pull the snow off the sidewalk as well??

Don't jump on me with this next question, but does it have down pressure, or just the weight of the plow puts it down??

And $300?? What's the thing got for a motor?? $300 would be hard pressed just to buy you the steel for the blade around here.

11. Mark Oomkes

Yes, you should have enough clearance. Our's will lift high enough that they almost block the tail lights. That's with a 28" moldboard. I don't have the actual ground clearance, but it is somewhere around 20-24".

Most if not all have actual down pressure. Depending on the setup, some can almost lift the back of the truck off the ground. :D This would be for uneven surfaces so the plow will be able to 'follow' contours and if there is a dip or the pavement is lower behind the truck. Just like the front plow. Most do not have a float like the front plow, although it is doable, just expensive and not worth it IMO.

Also, we have urethane or rubber edges on all our back blades. Prevents bent truck frames when catching obstructions. Doesn't scrape as well, but that is why we salt. Driveways may not be an issue, we do all commercial so it is a problem.

12. LwnmwrMan22

I too am only commercial, mostly banks, strip malls, gas station sized lots.

Here in MN, we usually don't get the wet snow from lake effect, unless it's a real early or late season snow, so back dragging isn't too much of a problem, but those times that it is......... :realmad:

I suppose it's just like I have a 2003 Dodge Diesel as a backup to my 2005, I don't want to be broke down.

If you could carry 2 plows with you, if you had a problem with one, you'd already have the other to at least pull the snow off the lot somewhat.

13. Mark Oomkes

Lake effect snow is just like mountain snow, all air. 1/4" can be blown off a lot with a blower. Actually, it probably has less moisture content to it than mountain snow. Sometimes only 1" moisture to 20" of snow. The average very loosely is 1" moisture to 10". If all I ever had to plow was lake effect, I would be a very happy plower. I'll take 20"-30" of lake effect over 3' of wet slop.

14. LwnmwrMan22

hmph... I always assumed lake effect would be quite heavy.

Guess I learned something new today. About time :)

I agree, gotta love those snowfalls when it's about -10 to -20 outside.

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well I dont know what kind of lake effect that grand rapids gets but here in Ohio the snow sometimes gets almost to heavy to push with a truck.....Rob

16. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

I would agree

I guess it's different up there, I hate Lake Effect too Rob. John

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Robhollar, I think the kind of back blade you are referring to for $300. is a piece of steel mounted behind your cutting edge. These also work very well. I had one made when I did mainly houses.

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Nope, i bought a drag blade that mountson the rear of my truck. It even came with the pump and lines. Yes it was used and I had to fab up a mount for it but hey for 300 bucks Im not complaning......Rob

19. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Not true. I live just off of the Tug Hill Plateau in New York. Lake effect is usually packy and heavy, with big wet flakes that remind me of mini snowballs. Don't get me wrong we get plenty of snow that is light and fluffy and some of it is also lake effect. I think it has more to due with the moisture carrying characteristics of the air, which is determined by temperature. The colder the air is the smaller the snowflakes. We get some of our highest accumulations when the temperature is right around freezing. Big huge wet flakes often proceeded or followed by rain.

20. Mark Oomkes

OK, I sit corrected. So around here in GR, 99% of the time lake effect is all air. Apparently it is different in all the lake effect areas, sorry.