1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Disc Brake Dust Shield

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t-sig, Jun 2, 2010.

1. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Does this dust shield actually serve a purpose? Mine completely rotted off about 50k miles ago and I haven't seen any increased wear or dirt build up in the brake system. I would replace them, but, I think you have to slide the axle shafts out to do it. Not really the best design. I'm not sure what kind of crappy metal they were made out of, they started rotting out within 2 years of buying the truck new, now you would never know they were there.

I put shoes and rotors on the rears last night. I won't get started on my dislike for this disk brake system.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I dont know if they serve any purpose either. The rears on mine rotted off 3 1/2 years ago and I havent had any issues with the rear brakes. You do have to slide the axle out to do them.

3. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

Normally you have to pull the axle to replace the backing plates. However, Dorman makes a split plate for this application, not requiring the axle to be replaced. If their not replaced, debris, salt, what have you can get caught up and destroy the rotors quick. I had a customer in two weeks ago that had rear pads and rotors replaced, but they did not replace the rotted backing plates. One year later, pads and rotors grinding on the inside, requiring complete replacement, this time getting the backing plates.

4. Troy5061

Troy5061 Member

I did mine on my half ton when I had that and I just did both sides on the 2500HD. No wonder the HDs rotted the replacement ones dont even come painted like the half ton ones do, I painted mine before the install. Be prepared to do axle seals if you do replace them, chances are they are bad.