1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear differential magnet

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Chiputz, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    Any suggestions on a type of adhesive to hold the magnetic pad in the bottom of the rear differential? I opened up the rear end to get the posi carrier out and rebuild and the magnetic pad in the bottom was loose inside.:realmad:
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm sure Loctite makes some kind of oil proof epoxy.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Jb weld maybe?
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Personally I wouldn't be that concerned over the diff magnet as I change my diff fluids religiously, after each season, so I don't think it's really that critical.

If your really worried about it, there are two things you can easily do.

#1. Weld a couple of metal tabs on the diff cover and install a circular type of diff magnet commonly found in trans pans as well. It's a "donut" shape with a hole int he middle, where the tabs go through and bend over the magnet to hold it in place. Lot of trouble if you ask me, but it does work

#2. Buy one of these:

Remove the plug every couple of weeks and see if there actually is anything attached to it. If not, then let it be.

Problem is that if you "Glue" that magnet in place, and it breaks off during a ride.... you're going to trash your gears / bearings and such that you'll have to re-rebuild everything.
  5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

weld a bolt to the inside of the pan, where it wont hit anything, use a nut to hold the magnet where you want.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

not to be slow,,,but aint the diff made of metal?? why are you wanting to glue the magnet down to the metal housing?? if its got good contact itll stick on its own.....just did a bunch of plows that have magnets in them and none had been glued.
  7. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

When I pulled the cover, one of the clutch packs had come apart and a disc was in pieces stuck to the magnet. I'm lucky it didn't get into the gears. The magnet isn't really that strong but it was strong enough to catch the metal disc pieces and keep my rear end intact.
    The magnet is a flexible rubber type that was supposed to be glued into a recess in the bottom of the housing, but it was able to be slid anywhere I wanted by just lightly touching it. My friend who rebuilds these all the time said it needs to be glued down. I used a 2 part epoxy as he recommended and it's stuck permanently I hope.
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I understand,,,I thought it was a stronger type magnet that won't really move