1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear diff lube change

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lotec25, Sep 25, 2009.

1. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

Changed the rear diff gear oil on my 2500 tonight, and the stuff that came out looked brand new. Truck has around 83,000 on it. I bought it used not sure when it was changed but i put about 30k on it since I had it. What intervals are you guys changing your diff fluids at? I just spent 40 bucks in fluid and probably could of went another 10k easy. I checked the front diff also, looks clean I was going to change it, just not sure if I should hold off.

2. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Change the front too. Cheap price to pay for another 80k in service. Hell, you spend $20 - $40 every 3000 miles to change the engine oil. The diff's need service too. Don't forget the transmission and transfer case. A rebuilt diff will run you $1000 plus easily.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

what year is your truck lotec, just a reminder if you have a 2nd gen theres an additive you have to put in the rear and if its a third gen you just need synthetic with no additve. i would do the front diff too since the dodges dont have locking hubs

4. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

it is a 2000 2nd Gen, i picked up the oil and additive for it. They had a sale down here at advanced auto for the diff oil so I figured i would change it out also did a new pan gasket. I know it is cheap manintance and saves cash, but it was clean looked like fresh oil, i seen no metal particles, of course they could of been beyond what i could see, The pan was not even dirty wiped it out with some of the blue cotton shop towels. I was just wondering what millage you guys usually change your diff lubes at, I am planning on doing the front tomorrow.