1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear defensive bumpers

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by baltz526, Dec 29, 2007.

1. baltz526

baltz526 Member

i plow tight driveways in tree infested housing developements. so it is very important to have a serious rear bumper. i'm planning my next plow rig and am wondering if anyone has any ideas. i have one idea to start, taking an idea from camper extension bumpers. by mounting 2 reciever hitches with open backs at both frame rails then building a 6x6 1/4" square tube bumper with 2" recievers to slide into the mount and be extendable when plowing. it could also act as a ballast weight in the lighter plow vehical (JEEP)
  2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I had a buddy took a 6" steel pipe & welded ends on it & a hitch to slide in his reese hitch. He filled the pipe with sand for ballast. We plowed a lot of times where he was glad it was on there when he backed into 2 light poles one night.
  3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ranch hand

tough country

many others make tough heavy duty bumpers.
  4. baltz526

baltz526 Member

can they take a 10mph hit backing into a unmovable tree/rock
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

wow 10mph is pretty damb fast to hit something and the parts survive. Lets see 7000-9000lbs coming to a dead stop hitting a tree with a solid bumper-- well if the bumper survives, whatever it is attached to will be bent. Yes if it is something that will move a bumper like that will help, but if its something solid, well something has to give.
  6. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

That's gonna hurt!!!!!:eek:
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i took my bumper off a old oilfeild truck, my grandpas company was selling it and i thought damn i need it! after a fresh coat of bed liner when the bed was done..it looks like new and is stronger then the frame 1/4" and 1/2" depending on which area ..the frame would be destroyed before this will.

i hit a tree in my yard with it, it sheered the bolts holding part of it on, didnt do a think to the bumper or the frame. thats why its still tilted down is because i havent got the right bolts on it yet lol it was a hard hit to say the least..i toatyl forgot there was a tree back there! dmanit
  8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Goto Home Depot and get some black steel pipe. It's weldable. Make a bumper out of it . 2 inch double pipe. It will take any hit you can give it uptp 25 mph. I make them for people here in NH and they love it.
  9. AWLCO

AWLCO Member

Saved my bumper a few times, and makes a great spot for my backup lights too.
  10. baltz526

baltz526 Member

bumper picture

first photo post. 85 w350 bumper

plow bumper.jpg
  11. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Ranch Hands Are Sweet I Had One On Texas Truck I Bought Off Ebay And That Thing Took A Beating Very Well Made And Only About 500 Bucks Direct Bolt On
  12. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

If you aren’t concerned about looks, I would make a bumper out of a railroad tie. It will take just about anything you hit, and will absorb some of the impact. A nice new bumper isn’t going to look so hot after hitting a few things.
    With the RR tie you can just unbolt it the end of the season!
  13. baltz526

baltz526 Member

i can buy and burn a lot of steel for $500.00. the reciever hitch extended bumper is simular to what i'm thinking, just, i'll have two reciever hitch's to insert the bumper in. the picture above of the bumper on my w350 is as close to tree/rock proof as it gets
  14. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

AWLCO I was wondering where you got yours from. If you could reply back that would be great!

Ryan payup
  15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

16. baltz526

baltz526 Member

ya! road armor. for them prices i can buy a new wirefeed welder and $500 dollars worth of steel to burn.
  17. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

I looked around that site but could not find that simple straight across bumper, that comes right off of the post hitch. :dizzy: any info would be great

18. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I remember back in the 70s people used to take off their rear bumper and put on railroad ties. Looked foolish but I am sure it would work.
  19. baltz526

baltz526 Member

railroad tie on the back! i'll need to change my buisness name to (buba's R us) the owners of the 2000k houses i plow might be looking for a different plow operator
  20. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

so i back in to things as it is and now i wanna throw another foot behind my truck? no thanks and i am not looking to bend my hitch come spring i need my trailer to pull strait. just my 2 cents look more when ur backin up