1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Bumper on 07 and 08 GMC Chev

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mr Bigblock, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

I have an 08 GMC pickup which i plow with. The other day i went to open the tailgate and it would not open to my amazement the bumper on both sides had been push up into the rear quarters and had also gotten pushed into and under the tailgate.Upon further investigation the bumper on these vehicle's is about 10 piece bumper. the chrome sides of the bumper are very weak a good kick with your foot and it ill be up into the sheet metal. Now i may have backed up into some snow piles but nothing hard at all, i also have a couple of 05 with a single piece chrome bumper which i have back into things harder an no damage at all. So let this be a warning if you r backing up even into some soft snow your bumper will bend there is absolutely no strength their.I got it pulled out today at the body shop so i could open the gate but I'm going to be looking for a aftermarket single piece chrome bumper. The cost to replace this bumper from gm is huge like i said its made up of like 10 pieces.
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Hey Mr. bigblock, you are better off looking on craigslist for a new bumper. I know there was a guy in the milwaukee area selling one for $250. Otherwise to get one from GM its like $1000 for the whole ****. Dont just order the bumper cause it comes with just the part that bolts to the frame. Trust me I know, I had it happen to mine.
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

ever think it just got hit in a parking lot? I know its hard to believe but people hit and run now a days
  5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I found a brand new one for my '02 on ebay for like $250. Alot of upfitters or guys adding flatbeds/dumps post them up just to get them out of their way. good luck
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the pile of junk GM calls a bumper. I ran into this last year - same general issue. The stock bumper is a composite of spring metal, tabs and plastic. If you dig deep enough you'll find that the insurance institute, the fed fuel guide lines and the automakers all got the vehicle safety rating on bumpers lowered and considered part of the star rating of safety.

Ie. the dead center of a bumper is suppose to accept a 2.5 mph impact. Anything outside of dead center does not have to have any impact rating. Welcome to your 40 pound piece of crap.

The white truck on the bottom of the page on the driveway is mine;
    http://www.fabfours.com/Full size R...2009 Chevy NEW BODY Rear Bumper CH08-W1450-1

Worth every penny - mounts without any mod's.

SKYNYRD Senior Member

not sure if they would have something that new but you can try justchevytrucks.com get the number off the website and give them a call. the owner is a real decent guy to deal with