1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear bumper dent

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kdwashman, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kdwashman

kdwashman Junior Member
    from pa

Had a little mishap plowing last week. Brother using my truck backed up into a bollard pole plowing my business. Damage amounts to 1900.00. This is an 06 1500HD chevy. Options are to fix at body shop, 500 deductible. Just let it go. or buy bumper and fix myself. Question for you guys, have any of you ever just bought an aftermarket bumper and put it on your plow truck, these things usually cost around 500.00. I think this would make more sense, because i usually keep trucks until they are ready for junk yard, but i dont want to drive around with beat up truck. Any opinions on better replacement rear bumpers for chevy trucks.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$1900 for a bumper? Call the wreckers or find an aftermarket company that makes original equipment bumpers.
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i have found that the aftermarket bumpers chrome do last last as long, that is why they are cheaper, but it you save $$$$ then it might be worth it
  4. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

I did this with my dodge, Found a stock replacement bumper on ebay for under 100 and swapped it out, Its only like 4 bolts per bracket to swap
  5. kdwashman

kdwashman Junior Member
    from pa

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you need all the plastic pieces they add up in a hurry, not sure who the crack head was that quoted you $1900? It's 8 bolts. My advice is to leave it until spring as long as the tailgate clears, you never know what can happen you might bump something or someone might bump you
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't run it threw your insurance,save if for the big stuff.
  8. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Although you can say it was parked on the road and somebody else hit it. Most insurance companies will wave the deductible for parked vehicles.
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah nothing like committing insurance fraud for a few hundred bucks right? Pure genius.
  10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Jeez, you should be able to google a good quality new aftermarket bumper for less than the deductible...
    A good quality chrome step and tow factory replacement was $250 del for my 2000 Yukon XL...
  11. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Check the junkyards and turn the wrenches yourself
  12. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Put an after market bumper on Chevy bumpers are absolutely worthless. Check out Buckstop bumpers, I'm on my second stock bumper (& that is tweaked) had I seen these before I put it on I would of used one of these.
  14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can try car-part.com as well. They have about everything oem you could ever want.
  15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

$1900?! I would go aftermarket. Maybe its a sign? haha
  16. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

The local chevy dealer quoted me $2100 for a new front bumper for our 08 3500 dump. Was told I had to buy all 3 pieces. Called a few junk yards found the passanger side piece for $75. Pretty expensive plastic if you ask me.
  17. GA73

GA73 Member

the insurance just put a aftermarket rear bumper on my 04 2500 hd was $700 and change it was the most expensive part of my ooops
  18. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I'd go with an aftermarket bumper. Last winter I backed into a snowbank while plowing and tweaked my stock bumper (didn't take much). I put on a Buckstop Bumper for alot less money and this one won't dent no matter what I back into, not that I have since. Steel, powdercoated, backup light ports built in, and factory fit - what more could you want in a rear bumper.

new bumper 500.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  19. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a nice looking bumper...Thumbs Up
  20. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Wow that looks good. Want to share price?