1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear broken leaf spring is it ok to still plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Itsdoubletime, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

Hi I will be doing some residential plowing this winter I am putting a 8'2 boss vplow on the front. All my leaf springs are fine besides one in the back on the driver side. Is cracked off halfway about 3 inches from the center where it holds it together . I won't be putting anything in the back besides a snowblower is it a necessity to have that leaf replaced or should I be ok without replacing it

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Why not replace it? If its broke fix it or it will come back to bite you at some point

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a real question? Why endanger everyone on the road knowingly driving on a broken spring? :dizzy:

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I know.... He's only got 2-3 months to get it done in, and it's simply just not enough time to pull the spring out, take it to the spring shop, and pick it up. It is a 6 month process, you know...

5. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

alright alright I get the point lol ... Was just asking if it was dangerous to ride on like that that's all . I was told by a mechanic that if I wasn't towing anything heavy it wouldn't cause a problem and it didn't sound right to me so I figured I would ask

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Since one is missing , rest of them can break ( I did this once I had one broken and Waited to long and the 2 above it broke off same place )

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Must be related to the bird.

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It's called metal fatigue, and stress fractures are going to happen above and below, as the pressure that normally would have spread across the face of the entire leaf, now focuses on one point where the fracture is.

I had a 79 F150 that lost a spring leaf, and I had no idea. Within a month or so, the leaf above cracked directly above the edge were the "missing" leaf used to be, as all of the weight was now pivoting on that broken edge.

Scared the bejesus out of me when I found the second leaf in my driveway, as it could have wound up in someone's forehead behind me.

9. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

A few years ago my Brother met a truck and a piece of leaf spring sliced through his windshield hit him in the shoulder and continued through the back window if it had been a few inches closer it would hit him in the head !!!!!

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

The mechanic is an idiot.

I would recommend not even bringing a bicycle to him to be repaired, as he is totally clueless.

Not only is it dangerous for others due to pieces falling off the truck, it is dangerous in that it could cause complete loss of control.

First thing that went through my mind when I saw the title.

11. Bird brains brother.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Its fine, I wouldn't worry about it

I also wouldn't drive it of way drive either.

But that's just me.

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Dude you can fix that yourself! Go to Hazard Fraught tools get a 110 volt flux core welder and just weld it up. Test it by running a loaded 2 yard sander in the back for a couple days after. If the Women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!:mechanic:

14. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Save yourself the trouble of dealing with results of cheap fixes and take the truck to a spring shop and have it done right. You'll never be sorry.

15. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

super glue & duct tape make sure u get the thick tape the thinner tape wont hold up !

16. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

In theory (as long as it's not the main leaf) why wouldn't it work? A weld is stronger than the original metal (will never break in the same spot again) so why couldn't someone weld it?

I'm not saying this is the best idea; but...it is an option.

17. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

You guys forgot about popsicle sticks, really would you us a rubber twice on second thought I don't want to know

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  18. hansenslawncare

Great argument...

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

it's not an option you cannot weld tempered steel. the heating from the welding would weaken the steel

20. hansenslawncare

Thank you...that's all I wanted to hear was a response worth typing.