1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Brakes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Got Snow, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i have 2 '93 F-350. i need to do the rear brakes over. do i need to pull the axle out? this shouldn't be a big deal cause of the full floating rear end...right? (they are the small bolts around the hub?)

anything else i should be aware of?

i have done lots of brake jobs before, just not on a full floater.

thanks in advance!!!:drinkup:

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

take the tire off and see if the drum comes off without pulling the axle out.

i know on my 89' f-350 i dont have to take the axle out.

even if you have to pull them out, it's no big deal.

just make sure you get a spanner socket for the locknuts holding the wheel bearings on. makes the job a whole lot easier.

3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

paul soccodato,

thanks fo ryour reply. could you please elaborate a little more on that?

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

on your truck i'm pretty sure you dont have to pull the axle out. on the earlier years it was neccessary.

take the tire off and see if the drum is in front of, or behind the hub.

most likely it will come off without having to take the axle out.

other than that, its a straight forward brake job.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You do not have to pull the axle,it's probably just the drum is siezed on the hub.Use some penetrating oil or some heat and a hammer,and it should pop off.

6. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

SUPER!!! thanks for the replies guys!!!

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Take a close look at the wheel studs. If the drum has never been off, there may be 2 washer type spring clips holding the drum on. You can either try to unscrew them or knock them off with a chisel.

If the '89 has the updated style, your '93 most certainly will. It sure does make brake work a lot easier!

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pelican,you could be right,I forgot about those things.We used to see them all the time at the dealer,with all the newer trucks.

I find it easier to grab on of the little tits on the clips with a pair of sharp side cutters,and snap them off.Don't worry about replacing them,as they are only there to hold the drum on on the assy line when the truck is built.