1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear brakes on f350 1999

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by LockedUP, Feb 7, 2008.

1. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

So does anyone know how to get more braking action out of the rear brakes on my 99?
    If I go down the road and hit the brakes on a snow covered road the fronts lock and I'm in trouble. If I drop it into 4wd the rears are basically connected to the fronts so the truck stops great...Doesn't seem to be enough braking force going to the rears esp with 6k of sand on the back. I would like to have a proportionating valve so I can adj the pressure back there and still have the anti lock to take care of lock up.. Any idea's? I have RABS only...

Dick

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The RABS shuts off when in 4x4 on most Fords. You might try adjusting the back brakes first. The adjusters may be frozen up if it has not had any brake work in a while. It depends on who did the brakes last too. A lot of people just stick shoes or pads on and do not change springs out of clean and lube the adjuster. Back brake adjusters never seem to work well anyway. Even when they are done right.

3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The 99 has rear disc so no adjusters. I would pull the calipers and make sure the slide pins are not frozen. If they are you can try and service with replacement pins. I always clean the pin hole with a drill to get the rust out. Use liberal ammounts of brake silicone grease. Or you can order the caliper mount from Ford if they are beyond repair. If the brakes are in bad shape might just be easier to get a set of loaded calipers and replace them. Hell they are 9 years old and have served thier time.

4. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Brakes are fine I need more brake pressure back there....I will check them again though...

Dick