1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Brakes on a 98 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snoworks, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have 78,000 miles on my Sierra. I have replaced the front brakes twice, but have yet to replace the rears. While doing general maintance on the truck, I thought I would check the rear brakes. Well, the rear brakes are still 95%. Is this normal for front to rear brake wear? Or should the rears be taking more of the braking load?

Chuck B.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if it's right or not but if it makes ya feel better those are similar numbers to my own vehicles.

3. camperspecial

camperspecial Junior Member

My 97 GMC has 121,000 miles on original back brakes. My experiece with GM products is that the rear axle seal will go out before the rear brakes wear out. This will cause rear end oil to contaminate the brake shoe linings. This is when I would change them IMHO.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

It seems that usually you can go through 2-3 sets of front pads before the rears need changing. Im talking about rear drum brakes I might add. Im sure you are OK, but its possible your rear shoes arent adjusted up far enough, so maybe they are barely touching, while the front brakes are doing all the work. You should adjust them up every now and then, gives you a slightly higher pedal feel too. Mike

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

from what i remember, those shoes were metallic, or semi metallic, and lasted for a long time.