1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear brake valve linkage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nrickey, Apr 15, 2006.

1. nrickey

nrickey Junior Member

On my '86 C20 HD pickup, can someone tell me what the rear brake line valve over the differental should be set at (as to where the flat on the shaft) when the linkage is attached? I'm trying to figure ouy why the rear brakes are weak. Shoes look new. The truck sits alot and my next job will be to check the proportioning valve in front. I disconnected the linkage to see if we could get more braking to the rear set. No better at any rotation. Any ideas??

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I just ran into a weird thing with my brakes. Check the lines for rust. If the area where the rust is and it has swelled notably you will have restricted pressure, followed by line failure. I had a section of line where the clamp holding the metal brake line was incompatible, it oxidized, rusted, seeped then failed.

3. GA73

GA73 Member

when i did my 85 i bypassed the valve altogether. no more jerky brakes