1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear axle seals

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by albhb3, Mar 6, 2010.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Just wondering how hard they are to change I refuse to pay 30 for the part and 300 for the labor! Will be doing the rear brakes as well there toast Oh its on a 98 ranger Thanks guys

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

It can have either the 7.5 or 8.8 ford differential. Either way, jack and support the vehicle. Remove the rear wheels, back off the brake adjuster, remove drums. Remove rear differential cover and let drain, remove retaining bolt holding the cross shaft in, remove the cross shaft, push in on the axles and remove the C clips, now you can remove the axles. Pay close attention to the surface on the axle were the bearing runs. If it is at all damaged replace both the axle and the bearing. Most seals fail and leak due to an on coming failure in that area.

I did not ask if they disc or not. The only thing different would be removing the caliper bracket the the rotor.

NAPA has axles available to them now.

3. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

found out it was the 7.5 the hard way says 8 8 on the tag so what ever axles looked great could not believe how easy the install was. I still have to put on the cover and fill it up but thats easy. Still have to do the brakes, master wheel cylenders, new brake fluid, new power steering fluid, new front brakes, clean the abs sensors, new oil, new bump stops, 3000lb spring helpers. Yep that should pretty much cover it:dizzy: