1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear axle bearings! Please Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, Apr 4, 2002.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Please help me remove my oldrear axlebearings. I have the shafts out and the old seals out of the way. I have broken all of the the bearings out of the retainer but the retainer is stuck within the axletubing still. I have tried:
    Heating lightly with a plumber's torch
    Used a slide Hammer
    triedto pry it loose with a crowbar
    tried hammer and screwdriver/crowbar/wood block

I am now considering dremel tool but fear I may score the surface too badly...any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If I'm understanding this right you're faced with getting the outer race out of the axle tube. If you're talented with a welder try running a bead around the inside of the race (where the bearings used to be). As the weld cools it will shrink the race slightly. I've done this to remove other stuck races and it works.

3. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I wish I was able to weld that well. I do have access to two welders too! I pln on learning the welding trade over the summer. I went ahead and made sacrifices and used the dremel trying my best not to gouge the axle tube too deep. i came away fairly happy with little scoring to the tube which I then sanded with the dremel. Thanks for all the help. I think day light and being able to see with real light eases the stress level as well. On to my next project...