1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

:realmad:Why Why Why Why would you do this :realmad:

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Oct 1, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Ok soooo I don't have any problems with my truck, but, I DO have a problem with the plow. Why would anyone ever weld down all the pins on their plow on both the top AND bottom?:confused: I just realized it because I'm going to take the plow apart, strip and paint it. Not only is it annoying, but what if something needed to be replaced?! Like a hydro ram or something, ALL WELDED DOWN. Looks like I'm gonna be getting some good practice with the angle grinder.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You need some FF.!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to the wonderful world of used snowplows. ;)

A few choice placed tack welds are more than enough but many guys just love overkill...that or they wanna show off there welding skills (or lack there of).

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Oh I'm sure this is just the beginning. There a lot more than a few "choice" welds. The only ones that are not welded are the ones that hold on the trip edge and the ones on the triangle. To make matter worse, some of the pins he has in there aren't even long enough, specifically the ones that attach the headger to the A frame.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Why not give up and sell that plow to another person [​IMG]

just joke

how bad weld it is? Can you get pic of that? We enjoy see what person try fix that during snowstorm.

I think it could be old pin fall when PO plow then sick of replace pins so decide weld and it stay until he sold to you.

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh i can see if i can get some pictures up here tomorow

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Get a set of torches, dont mess arround with the angle grinder.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I don't know how to weld or use and oxy acetaline torch

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

A before O or up you go! That's one of the only things I remember from high school.

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

using a tource is super easy .... ask around for some one to show you how to set it up.... it can be a life saver.... it really doesnt take much to learn to cut... welding with it is a skill...but any monkey with practice can cun, or blow holes threw those pins

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

ill look into it. How much would you say it costs to get like a beginner's set up?

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

the money and hassle it will save you is worth its weight in gold. fuel thesedays

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I'm sure the cutting torch is easier but this is a low budget project, and I probly wont have much use for welding equipment the future (I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic). But if anyone is in the area and feels like giving me a hand, feel free to let me know. I would drive to you, I don't have much cash but I'm pretty handy so I would be willing to pay in labor or I might have something laying around to trade

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If you plan to be plowing long you will use the welding equiptment more than you think. :nod:

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

fpr your use id recommend a small portable set up, so if you ever had to take it out to a job you could... average set up , with the bottles , around 500-600 normally.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

IMO just paint it with the cylinders on and worry about it when you have a problem with the cylinder if you ever do. You might end up selling the plow before you even have any cylinder problems. I would leave them welded and I know how to cut and weld. JMO:drinkup:

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

trust me , if you can turn a few knobs, light a flame, and heat metal till its almost liquid.... thats it

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

provided you have more that one plow , id go with jds advise

19. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Hey Chris, i'm only a couple of miles away and have a portable torch set. Give me a ring and i'd be happy to give you a hand. Roy - 781-789-4595

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Or if it's a Western.