1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Really?!?!?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by paponte, Nov 24, 2010.

1. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Came across this today, delivering salt at a company we supply to. Can you spot the problem with this 2 yard bucket?

IMAG0057.jpg

2. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

one side is deeper than the other

3. Reliable Snow and Ice

hooks no centered?

4. Reliable Snow and Ice

flat back and not rounded

has to be the flat back shorting customers of salt

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It's really only a 1 yard bucket, if that.

6. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

looks like they welded a plate in the bottom to short customers of salt

7. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Really?!! I would flip if I caught them shorting me salt especially with a bucket like that

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

DING DING DING!! i couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's a 2yd bucket with a metal plate (notice the flat "bottom") welded right smack down the center of the bucket!

9. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I have a hard time seeing how that would actually play out. We've got a dump-bed on our F350 and I know that it holds pretty close to 4 CY without sideboards, or 6 CY with the sideboards on. If someone was loading me and claimed 50% more was there than actual, it would be pretty obvious.

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

How do they sell the salt ? Buy the ton, yard or bucket ? Maybe there is a legit reason (I doubt it), like the bucket was bought as a light materials bucket & would be unsafe on that machine full of salt. Doesn't hurt to ask ? At least they know your paying attention, may save an argment later. I know on my 773, the smaller bucket (3/4 yd) is fine (but can get tipssy) when loading but if the snow bucket is on I need to watch how full it gets. I now have an employee salting as well so I'll have to make sure the small bucket stays on.

11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

That's what I had originally thought, maybe they set it up to measure a cubic yard exactly. I asked the machine operator how many yards that bucket was and he replied two. I'll have to ask the actual owner when I run into him. I just find it kind of wierd to ruin a perfectly good 2yd bucket to measure out one yard.

12. SF Supply

SF Supply Junior Member

That's exactly why you sell by the ton. A ton is a ton is a ton.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have a 2 yard V.
    If I was filled and then handed a weight sheet that claimed 4 there would be a pretty big debate at the check out gate.

14. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

IN CT the state has a weight and measurement department. They check scales at grocery stores and quarries, measure gallons and fuel stations and even checks busckets for landscape supplies. Any legitimate supplier here will have the bucket measured and marked and have the paperwork from the state to back it up. Otherwise you can get fined etc. Most people here load the bucket and give it a shake so that it is slightly heaped. Better to give the customer a bit more and not have any complaints.

15. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

here a thought....maybe they had a 2 yard bucket and they only wanted to load one yard at a time...ie: customers that wanted one or three yards... that way the operator know how much he is putting in... instead guessing what one yard of material looks in a 2 yard bucket

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That works great until it is wet.

I think some here are jumping to conclusions.

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This makes perfect sense.

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Except the guy running the machine is telling the OP that it is a two yard bucket. If, that's what he said it's deception.

19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't know, but I highly doubt it.

Who would not notice being shortchanged by half?

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Some guys that have worked for me in the past.:sleeping::dizzy: