1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

really stupid question about wiring a western ultramount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by racer0175, Nov 13, 2002.

1. racer0175

racer0175 Member

according to the western installation manual (which by the way sucks) it says i have to splice into the turn signal and parking lamp wires to hook up the harness....

acording to alldata, there is a turn signal/park lamp light (bottom light in the middle) and then the bottom outside one is the marker lamp.

is the park lamp the marker lamp? I'm thinking it is, but i don't want to go messing up the vehicle harness...

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

what type truck do you have? the parking light is the amber light that stays on the marker light is the turn signal.go to the auto part store and buy a test light for a few dollars,its good to have around. good luck
  3. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I will agree with you on the instructions for the ultramount, they suck. We did mine a couple of weeks ago on a 99 F350, and we did not have to splice into any of the wiring harness for the lights. I can't tell you exactly how it was done, as I know absoulutely nothing about electrical, but I know that nothing was cut up. Sorry I can't be of much more help. Maybe you can speak with the supplier, they should be able to tell you what you need.

4. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I can help you. What kind of vehicle do you have?

When they talk about tying into/splicing into the wire, they include those little "scotch-lok" things that you just crimp on so you don't have to do any wire cutting or stripping. THe marker lamp is the one that it on front that is on all the time, the turn signal one is the one on the side which is only on when the blinker is flashing.

I tied into them right behind the lamps themselves, just opened up that split plastic protective shell, pulled out the wire, and clipped the scotch lok on.

I have an '02 Chevy, so if you have any questions as far as what colors to tie into, etc. let me know and I can take a quick look for you.

As far as the instructions sucking, I agree. Sort of, anyways, cuz I don't know if they suck or not. I never found teh "underhood" packet until i was all done, so I was just working off the schematic, and peeking at my neighbor's. Made it a bit mroe challenging. :D
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS, On new GM trucks with plow prep. There is extra plugs on
    the headlights and turn lights from the factory. Western
    has a special wiring harness so its all plug in ! NO cutting
    plug and go !

Racer ya find the hole yet ? Did ya have to drill ?
  6. NoStockBikes!!

Wasn't planning on plowing when I bought it, so no plow package on mine. Wish there was, man that would have saved me the headache of wiring that bugger with no instructions...:realmad:
  7. racer0175

racer0175 Member

my truck is a 99 silverado reg cab z71

lol...no i didn't drill the hole yet:eek: i wanted to, but it didn't work out that way...also all i had was a 1/2 drill bit.. i've been trying to ask you guys questions before i stand there for 5 hours... :)

i did all the external pump stuff yesterday and all the wiring on the exterior...was all set to go for the internal wiring, but got hung up with where to mount the solenoid....i am going to mount it horizontal right next to the battery, there is a metric thread hole right there on the front crossmember..., i have to get a piece of aluminum or stainless to mount it on...i was thinking of putting all those relays right on there too...keep it nice and neat...i didn't have the bolt, or metal so i packed it up and stopped....

i did find the spot where the hole goes, and i think i'm gonna drill it, might even go to the dealer and get the actual grommet...

i wonder if it would have been worth it to looking into the prep package wiring...maybe it's just an extra harness i could have bought and pluged in.....mine has bullet connectors for the park(marker) lamps and the turn signals....the rest clips in real nice, except for that mess with all the relays....
  8. NoStockBikes!!

Yeah, the relays are a mess... I taped them together into a block, and put it behind the headlight. Out of mind, out of sight. No way to make it look pretty, and don't want that mess getting caught in anything.

As far as the prep package, I bet that's something that needs to be done from the get-go. It's not that big a deal, though. You only have to scotch-lok on in 3 places (one on each blinker, and 1 on the park lamp), 4 if you have daytime running lamps and care. If the directions don't tell you which specific wire to crimp onto, let me know and I can look. I crimped onto the wrong one initially, and so when i turned my blinker on, my headlights flashed on and off. LOL
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2002