1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

REALLY small driveways..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gotgetter, May 29, 2001.

1. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

I was checking the search under "small driveways" to get some info on the best way to handle them.
    I saw one post where the guy referred to a driveway that held 2 cars wide and 3 or 4 cars deep as a "small driveway"!!!
    Around here, that's a fairly big driveway.
    My summer lawn accounts have driveways that are two car parking. Whether they be 2 side by side or 2 infront of each other.

So, my question is how would you handle these very SMALL driveways? Snowblower, ATV with plow, or shovel (please don't say shovel!!!).
    Some have garages at the end, others do not, but may have a fence.

ATV with plow might be nice because I wouldn't mind playing on it the rest of the year when I'm not plowing! And I believe you can get salt spreaders mounted on the back of these.

Also, there is the possibility of driving the ATV between a few houses on a block rather then load and unload a snow blower on the truck.

Any thoughts? What about pricing drives this small? I would carry a shovel to hit the short walks and steps to door (basically anything that I couldn't get with the plow).
    Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Eglinton

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd suggest a snowblower and for sanding a spreader like that used to spread grass seed on some thing that small.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Unless this is a condo complex. I turn these accounts down. In a condo complex we have several small driveways like that, and we use two skid steers to clear them.

Geoff

4. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

Actually, it's not a condo, but some of my lawn accounts are in a trailer park.
    Skid steer is out for me $$.
    Thanks for replying though.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Jonathon, I'd suggest an 8 HP or larger snow blower. It would handle the job with ease. Not that a quad (ATV) couldn't. If you got a quad to do it with a plow, you'd need a 4 stroke powered quad. Then the plow is another couple of hundred bucks. Then the plow might not lift high enough to drive up the ramps into the back of the truck. That is a common complaint about ATV plows, that they don't lift high enough.

Like Mick said in another reply to you, with a blower, you can put the snow exactly where you want it. It won't be as costly an investment as a quad either.

As far as what to charge? Well that varies a lot. Around here, a 2 car driveway, with the walk cleared too, is about $25, for 1 - 6". Pretty much $10 per "car", and the $5 covers the walk. Just the walk from the drive to the front door. If the walk is unusually long, then I'd charge $10 for it (so $30 for a 2 car, with a long walk). Doing a "street sidewalk" is extra too. That gets buried by the road plow.
    I'm sure there's guys in other areas doing the same driveway for $15, including the walk, but that's how it is. Location has A LOT to do with the price.

~Chuck

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Find laybor

What i am planing on doing is running the route with two guys. me in the truck him out side with a snowblower and shovel. You can get almost everything with the plow except up right up agents the house (what you could not reach with back dragging. Meanwhile he is clearing all up along the house and side walks. hey just a thought :D

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You got me. I was wondering "What the heck" when I saw I'd replied to this thread. Then couldn't remember giving an answer like that. Finally figured out it was from 3 1/2 years ago.

:waving: . Welcome to Plow Site, Grassbusters.

8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

He must be on Dial up.. :)

I read a bit back into that post and I just have one comment.. An 8 hp blower will give you trouble gettin it into the truck just like an ATV will.. Are you going to carry ramps for the blower too?? Or lift that thing every time?? Pick yourself up a small 1 stage 3hp blower and you'll be a lot faster and happier..

9. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, so i did not read the date. oops :jester: oh well. it was fun never the less. :waving: