1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Really new rookie.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DieselDog, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DieselDog

DieselDog Junior Member

Aloha from Wisconsin;

So I sit here waiting counting down the days until old man winter drops a lovely duce and I can go play in the snow:waving: Anyways l am looking to get into the plowing business. Not starting up my own company but I am wanting to sub for sombody else. My question is I may purchase my own truck to use, but I really would not have a need for it in the off season other than the occasional run to Menards to pick up a weekend project. Would it be wise to pick up a beater to use this season or are there companies out there were I would just use their trucks? I do have experience from working at the airport, we had this really old Colman with a plow on it that we used, no power steering and no heat and sometimes the exhaust vented into the cab:sleeping::cry:. So should I go out and by a truck and used plow or wait a season or two gain some experience and go from there? I would love to throw a plow on the wifes Town and County and beat the snot out of it since it was a lemon since we got it:gunsfiring:

I guess I am crazy because I enjoy the snow and would really enjoy spending my off time at all hours sitting plowing snow while the rest of the world sleeps. Coffee is your friend!!!

Thank you in advance
    Bring on the Snow!!!
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Start out driving someone elses. People get sick. Make yourself available at ANYTIME and advertise yourself like that. Don't waste your money on something you think you might like to do until you know it is something you know you like to do. JMO
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well I know one thing. Don't buy junk! It's a chance you take between buying your own vehicle to plow with, or using someone elses. You can potentially make more with your own truck, but the initial investment is a lot, lot bigger.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try it with someone else. After your first plowing you may just want to stay in bed!
  5. DieselDog

DieselDog Junior Member

Thank you to all who have replied thus far. So looks like the best thing to do is wait to try it out with somebody els first. I know I wont do it once and hate it, I was the weird on in the family, when I was younger I would do my buddys paper route in the winter because he was not a cold weather guy. I had more fun working 3rd shift at the airport especially during the winter. I guess I got ice in my blood or I should have been riding the short busxysport?

So I guess the next question is do I open up my local phone book go to the snow removal section and start calling asking if they are looking for a backup driver if somebody calls in sick? Is it too early to start spreading the word or should I wait until late September as it gets a little closer to winter? I guess this way it lets me keep my real job, sitting behind a computer in a server room in a set tempature:dizzy: YUCK.

Now lets just hope we have another nice winter everywhere so that everybody gets to have some fun:jester:payup Not sure if Mother Nature is going to be that kind, I hope these early long term forecasts are off which they usually are.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Go talk to them in person. You'll stand a lot better chance. Concentrate on those smaller outfits where they hire based on personality rather than demonstrable ability. Bigger outfits care less if you're the nicest guy in the world, they just want experience and competence. Be upfront and tell them you're wanting to get some training and experience. Any halfa--- plow company owner can tell in about 10 seconds if you really know what you're doing. Most don't care that they're "training their competition". Most guys who sub have a few of their own customers, anyway.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go to them in person. They can tell and you will too if they are the person they want to hire or you want to work for.
  8. DieselDog

DieselDog Junior Member

Very true, I guess its time to get out and beat on some doors and get the word out there.:nod: Thank you for all the great advice:angel: