1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

really loose steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chris694205, Dec 18, 2010.

1. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

My 97 K2500 is having some steering issues...It is like driving an old tractor because the steering is so loose. I have replaced pretty much everything involved including the tie rod ends, idler arm,pitman arm and the ball joints are pretty new... The only thing left would be the stabilizer shock thing and possibly the steering box... have you guys seen the steering box's go bad alot? or do you have any ideas on what the problem could be?

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Worn steer box or loose steering box to frame, loose bolts, how are the wheel bearings?

3. chris694205

wheel bearings are new also... the steering box is tight to the frame.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

If everthing is new and good then I'd look at the steering box, about $160. how is the steering colum U-jount?

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You might be able to adjust the steering box, there is a nut and stud that sticks out of the top (loosen the nut and turn the stud clock wise) to take up the slack.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'd like to know? I was told that that stud is factor set and if you need to adjust it then your steering box is worn out, so it's ok to adjust it to tighten your steering?

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I did when I had my 87 truck I mean I didn't go crazy, I just adjusted it to take up the slack in the steering wheel.

8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Be careful. U can adjust that nut on the steering box. But again, be careful a small adjustment can go a long way. Adjust it a little at a time, but it should help pick up the slack.

9. chris694205

yea i had to do that in my other truck... it developed an awful case of memory steer after i did that though