1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Really lame season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LockedUP, Mar 7, 2004.

1. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

MY guess it wasn't gonna snow in Mar is turning out true...We used to get 5-8 events in Mar. Last year none..Normal winter 20 events or more. This year 7 go figure....Guys are going broke selling all their stuff.. Oh well Its a good thing I have other work..
    I suppose we could still get a storm the 2nd half of mar but who likes to grade driveways not me, and i'm not into lawn repair.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I won't coment on what I think our winter has been like, I don't think you're allowed to use those kinda words here:angry:

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Winter could have been much better only two real good storms here this winter. Well see what happens tonight and see what happens next year.

4. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Hmm, I don't know Chris, it's not looking too promising. :(

5. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Sanding /salting is where its at!

Ive only had a couple of plowable events....but ive gone out over dozens times with the sander truck. Commercial accounts(98% of our accounts) need to be kept clean with zero tolerance for any sort of build up. This is where the $$$$ is at in a winter with little snow! Build that commercial customer base for next yr.:salute:

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I plowed 10 times this year.:bluebounc
    Hopefully more on the way but not looking too good.:mad:

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Yeah this it terrible, I'm not sure what is going to happen :cry:

8. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I get paid by contract so this year was actually good for me. My accounts are 80% contracted and 20% are by storm. So I am glad when it doesnt snow but also bummed, cuz I am a skier.

9. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

This year in Michigan was way better than last year by far! We got more snow it seems than in the last 5 years. Piles like I haven't seen in a long time. I don't plow commercially anymore, but this year would have been a good one. But I don't miss the all day and night shifts. I've got enough with family and a couple businesses to keep it fun now.

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

This has been an average season for us. Would like one more event, but bristol race is 3 weeks away and I need to get the 5th wheel ready...Chuck

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I basically got one week of non stop plowing and like 2-3 straggler days. I don't do a lot of salting or sanding but a little. I figure I broke even this year (after a few repairs) and made a few bucks but several thousand less than last year even. So much for the theory of getting out of debt this winter lol ;)

12. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

Didn't really start plowing for me till January.

Since then plowed 7 times. Just plowed this morning for 2 Inches here and we've gotten about 1-2 more today so in the morning I will be out again.

Not as many storms for up here though. People are usually about 20 times into it already.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

this isnt over by a long shot

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We had 2 plow events in Indy this year... Still made good money, all equipment is paid for so that helps with profits. Salting / de-icing was the big thing here.

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

lame season is 01 winter 1 storm all year that was lame year

16. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks like we might have one more here in the northeast. MIGHT be "substantial" according to some reports. Try www.noaa.com They have a special weather statement for Wednesday night into Thursday.