1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Really big tractors?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PhilFromErie, Aug 19, 2012.

1. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Does anyone here uses large, 300 hp plus tractors to push snow? More specifically A Case 9270. It already had a front lift hitch so I can adapt a box to it very easily. The only thing I'm wondering about is fuel consumption, would it be so thirsty that it wouldn't be worth it to use.
  2. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

well it uses a 14.0l, 855ci engine, burns about 65 liters per hour (17-18 gal) at load. you'd have to have a humungous blade/pusher and area to make it efficent. it would push a lot of snow though!
  3. PhilFromErie

Yea it'll burn that at full load making a big cut with the scraper or a big ripper, but with a box pushing snow I would think may be half that. I was hoping someone would have tried it to give me some insight.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

This probably doesnt help. Our tractors that have inverted blowers on them cost about 25% in fuel what it cost to plow the same route with a truck.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use to plow with 3 Versatiles and they were 330 horse and they were really good on fuel. Generally your just idling with a tractor with that much horse power. You have to be carefull with that much wait behind you as if you hook something it's going to break something. Our 8000 Deere doesn't actually burn hardly any more fuel then our small 7's now.
  6. PhilFromErie

Thanks Dave, that's what I was hoping to hear.
  7. PhilFromErie

What size pusher did you use on them? I'll probably use a 18 footer.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This was years ago and pushers really weren't out then. We only had 14ft angle blades on them. I was just a kid when we used them, I'm going by what my dad has told me. You need really flat lots for anything bigger then a 16 ft pusher unless you want to scrape it again with a smaller blade. Not sure the type of lots you do.
  9. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

One outfit here has run either an 18 or 20' blade on a 9620, I think it was a Daniels blade with the manual wings. (Though with duals still on not sure if they folded them in or not!)

They ran that for a couple years, but I think the blade got remounted and put on a loader instead a year or two ago. Like Dave says, that length of blade (or box) needs large flat surfaces to be effective on. This was only used on a few particular lots and all were along large roads that were easy to travel on.
  10. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

On that wide of a pusher I would think a sectional would be the only to go
  11. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

four wheel drive Deere

I have a 300hp Deere with duals weighs about 32000 pounds that I only use a 12ft front deere blade with sides welded to the blade. I have a 200 hp front wheel assist Massey Ferguson with a loader, no dual weighs about 24000 pounds with a 12ft boss that will out push the full time four wheel drive. The Deere will spin out and the Massey Ferguson doesn't. Each uses about 5 gal. per hour.