1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

REALLY BIG Pavement............?s for those who do huge stuff...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've done plenty of 10-15 acre stuff over the years, got an oppurtunity to bid a 40+ acre site. Not looking for pricing advice or anything like that. I am curious what challenges the bigger stuff brings with it, customer issues, insurance issues, more prone to slip and fall issues....ETC. Any expierience you could share would be great....

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a 40+ acre field? with one tenant? or is it an outlet mall with 40+ acres of parking surrounded by building, your question is impossible to answer without more details.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Don't ya just love it? :D
  4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Snow is snow... The bigger the lot, the bigger the equipment. 40 acres or not, you typically slip and fall on about a 6" spot of ice. If one is doing 10 plus acres, I would think you'd already have a large insurance policy. As far as customer issues, back to answer number one; you don't show up at a 40 acre lot with a pick up.
    Next question?
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Guys.............I see the cynicism is still running rampant. I'm not some new guy asking for prices, and thanks I'm well aware of the proper equipment and procedures for a larger property. Also that it only takes a 6" spot of ice to get sued............

We do have plenty of insurance, but was curious in the sense that do you see more claims per acre on these bigger sites? Do any of your bigger sites have special insurance requirements( this one doesn't) and if so why? In general are people more understanding of the work involved or are they more demanding than say a stand alone retail store.

And to answer the only part of a reply that didn't seem to be a dig. Its a 40+ acre retail site, there are 3 "big box" stores a section of strip mall between them and 4 pad sites that sit across the lot from the main building area.
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

blowerman. answer your phone. i need your fax #
  7. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

You just add more additionally insured.. You also have employee issues!! Not everyone will show up every time.. for whatever reason.. You will also have alot more managing to do.. Also you can expect complaints.. and your phone to ring for whatever reason..

However.. I find it alot easier to manage 3 very large properties.. than say 100 smaller ones.. Your eyes can't be everywhere.. so if you have great people to help oversee you should be all set!!
    Oh ya and you probably already know.. that your the first one up.. before it even snows .. and the last one to get to bed!!!
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

what equipment would you be using for a 40acre site?

how big of a loader/push box
    how many skids
    snow blower guys
    shovel labors?
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need something like this.

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That looks Like a MONSTER of a box for that little old loader
  11. grandview

Side view....

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

that is a beast!
    is that one of yours? that appears to be one powerful loader!
  13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview, from the front it looks like a "butter face" nice plow but a ugly cab is what I meant. They don't use those much around here anymore. A old coal pusher moves alot of snow from what I've heard.
  14. grandview

It's a snow dozer.
  15. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

How much is it for sale for?
  16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

yes, yes, yes, it's headache, it's pain, but it pays extremely well. I maintain a 48 acre lot, well over 1.2 million SF of asphalt. I stock it with 3 loaders, 1 Farm Tractor and 1 SICARD Truck just to do bulk plowing. I then have a small 6-Wheeler and 2 Pick-Ups on cutting around edges and cleaning up handi-cap areas. Then i have a third crew on sidewalks, and that's probably the most important part is having a seperate crew on sidewalks (i learned this the hard way, thinking that my plow guys could handle this but they can't) so i equipped my skidsteer with a broom and plow blade, hired a kid to work with him and they plow and salt the sidewalks and that's their only job.

Usually big lots do see more insurance claims, big lots = better paperwork on your part. Your guys have to be thorough or you could lose your a**.

Also, be prepared for retainage being withheld. Many stores that group together to form a large lot will require retainage, usually 5%, to be withheld out of each payment for damage purposes.

Last but not least, good luck.
  17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

is that thing still sitting there for sale?
  18. grandview

I don't know but I can find out. It was 15,000.00
  19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That snow dozer is all motor .... that things a monster, love it!
  20. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Guess it depends what you mean by big lot.

If you are talking a busy shopping center yes there are issues. I am not sure more just different.

If you are talking a corporate campus or warehouse not even close. We do both an upper end shopping center, and a couple of 40-50 acre shipping centers. The shopping center is VERY high end and pays $$$$$$ per acre to have total clear of everything, We are aggressive and have few issues We do another center that is about 1/2 empty and cheap and have lots of issues generally we have documented us wanting to salt and them saying no. on our shipping centers there is an expectation that service will be at a certain level.

Talk to your agent. And talk to your property Manager. When we are bidding often I find Managers who are overly concerned with cost over safety. I will walk away from those because you know what the total cost will be.