1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Real bad corrossion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Real bad corrossion on the + battery terminal! After I get it cleaned up with Coke and baking soda and water... would it be good to put a coating of Vasaline on it to keep the corrossion ???

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

There are a lot of good specialty products,just for that purpose.NOCO makes a kit,which includes the battery cleaner,battery corrosion washers,and a terminal spray\sealer which will solve the problem.The spray\sealer is red,and sticky and lasts a very long time.

Most good auto parts stores,or battery dealers should have something available.

3. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply Chris

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problem:D

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I put greasable (yes with a zerk) terminals on my own vehicles. Cost is a bit more then a normal lead terminal. Get everything cleaned and put these on and you will not have a corrosion problem.

6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

CT18fireman where did u get those terminals? Just curious because i never heard or seen one.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Maybe Im wrong, but if a battery gets a huge build up of corrosion around one or both of the terminals, doesnt it mean the battery is leaking and needs to be changed? Not all batteries do this, my car or truck never did anyway, so that tells me the ones that do this are leakers, no?, and leakers need to be replaced?!? Mike

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Some batteries are sealed,and some are vented.The vented ones will corrode the terminals more,but they can be topped up,and usually last longer.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK, but how about when a sealed battery does this? Time for replacement, no? Not argueing the point, just wanna get my facts straight. Mike :)

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

If a sealed battery is doing it,it could be the battery leaking,or it could be something else causing it.I wouldn't replace the battery just due to corrosion.Clean it up first,properly treat it,and then see if it stops.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

12. wyldman

wyldman Member