1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready to start busting some heads!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pwrjnky, Nov 12, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

Where's the respect?? I have made flyers and put them in all the local grocery stores, restaurants, laundry mats, gas stations, and hardware stores. In a couple of places there may have been other plowing flyers and I leave them alone. If there's room, I'll throw up mine.....If no room, I move to the next place in respect for the people that beat me there. I went out to check them tonight and found that 3 of the places, my flyers were gone and this other guy replaced with his!! Coincidence...I don't think so! If this happens again :gunsfiring:....I now have this tools phone #!! Anybody else run into this?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Professionalism is gone. The lowballers trying to make beer money are the ones who are most likely responsible for these kinds of actions. I never hang flyers, and I don't advertise, so I guess I can't really sympathize with you, but I have lost a couple jobs this year to guys with no insurance, and 1980 trucks with 25 year old plows on them. You just know they won't do half of waht they are supposed to do.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The only respect your going to get is here. Unless you post something stupid!

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

No. But I don't post flyers either, I think they're tacky and ineffective...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

All I have to say is...

what did you expect?....It's cutthroat, and there are many scumbags walking around.

6. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

lol....I hear ya.

7. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

Most of my business is word of mouth and clientelle. I'm a realtor, so I get all the residential listings that my office has. I usually give a discount to those customers. I do get quite a bit of calls from my flyers along with the advertising on my truck. Every little bit helps.

8. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Ask those business managers if they may have the culprit on video. That would be nice.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i dont think a manager would waste his time looking at a video to find a guy who threw a flyer out... imo

10. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

maybe a potential customer took your flyer so they would have your info???!!!! heres to wishfull thinking!

11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

do the dirtbag one up. take his down and visit back every week lookin for a replacement. your wasting your time anyways. post an ad in the local paper

12. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I threw some business cards up on a bulletin board last year at a local food store and also talked to the owner who put one of my fliers in a bulletin board with a case over it (you have to have permission to take something from there or put something up) Well a buddy of mine was in there and he saw someone taking all of my business cards down(there might have been 3 or 4 so it looked suspicious) so he said to the guy, " Why are you taking them all don't you just need one?" The guy gave him so B/S response and my buddy said they guy was driving a truck with a plow mount and pulling landscape trailer. But every time I put business cards in there they disappear but the flier in the case doesn't. I don't mess with other peoples stuff but the world is filled with scumbags so what can you do about it.

13. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Rc2505
    I see you have a 77 Ford, Does that mean you do a 1/2 ass Job also?
    I prefer the older trucks myself ( 96 ford 250 ) Parts are cheaper and I can fix them myself instead of waiting a week for the shop to fix it. My plow is a 78 western 7.6 conv. If it works why replace with a 4000/5000 dollar plow. I have 10 accounts for the last 7 years, no problems no complaints.So just because I have a older plow&Truck Does'nt make me unreliable.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I have my print guy print out 40 on a good stock and laminate them every year. I post them around town. For the $21 bucks that I pay, I always get a few calls a year out of them.

I only have one guy that stirs the pot, we get in an escalated pissing match every year as the season wears on. I usually retaliate by tearing off all his pull tabs, then he puts a new one up over mine, or I'll turn his upside down, and he will flip mine over....it's turn into a comical thing more then anything. I think I am going to send him an E card for x mas this year with a pic of our posters side by side (we both list our emails on our posters).

On a serious note, I wouldn't bother posting if it came down to a frustration level. It just wouldn't be worth it. Try posting laminated ones on telephone polls near intersections, or only post where employees of the stores are in eye shot, forget the lobby's and bathroom corridor boards were no one notices whats going on.

15. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Life can change in a hurry fellas... Remember someday you heard it here. I used to run an 02 f250 with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel, crew cab, long bed, with a new 7 1/2 boss plow on it till the economy went south. They are out there, but just because a guy drives an 80's truck with an old plow on it doesn't mean he isn't a professional or isn't insured. We won't get into how older vehicles can be just as reliable as newer stuff, because that's been debated ad nauseam on this site & many others. What I find unprofessional on some of these posts is the fact that a lot of the posts from what appear to be the younger crowd has tons of misspellings, fragmented sentences, etc. It seems like some of you should have spent some time in english class & not texting your buddies... JMHO. Happy plowing & think UPSLOPE.

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Listen guys I never said that everyone that uses older equipment is doing 1/2 assed work. All I was trying to say is that with the economy the way it is right now, everyone with a 4X4 truck is throwing an old plow on and trying to make money. The main problem with the guy who just lost his job, and is trying to make money plowing snow, is the chances are slim to none that they are carrying the proper insurances, workers comp, or anything else a real company must carry. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a lowballer thread, I was just stating the most likely suspects in the takeing of this guys fliers.

17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Take a glue stick and stick your flyer on top of his.

White out his phone number and write in the number of the local gay bar. No offense meant to anyone!

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's ok Grandview won't take it personally.

19. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I was just saying that it's a little frustrating. They only take me a few minutes to print out. Paper is fairly cheap, but the ink is pretty expensive. I carry quite a few spares in each of my vehicles, so if one is missing I can replace it. I won't pull someone elses ad down or put mine on top of it. Everyone has their right to advertise, but to pull mine down to put theirs up is pretty low. I'd be more inclined to call them a bunch of times and send them to fake addresses for plowing quotes to burn up some of their gas to replace the ink I used!!:laughing:

20. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Haha the same thing was happening to me at a Mr. Z's near me.

"Billy Bob" and his 1957 pickup truck and old beat up plow kept on tearing down my flyer and putting his up over the spot where mine was.

I never really got mad though, because the customers that would hire a guy like that and his old beater are customers that I wouldn't want anyways.